Fly Fusion Forums

Mallard Point Island

I see a lot of fly fishers on the island created by the side channel between Mallard Point and Bankside, both walk and wade guys and drift boats parking on it. I also see a lot of signs on that island saying that it's a protected area and to keep off it. Anyone know why it's protected and why so many ignore the signs?

It's a wildlife refuge (Poplar Island). They really cranked up the signage this past year on it. Think it's good nesting habitat for birds, coyotes and deer calving area.

People ignoring signs... That one I think we both know why. Personally I don't see an issue with people parking and fishing on it, but shouldn't be wading/walking above the high water mark. It's a pretty decent fine if you get caught on it, high water or otherwise

• Like 1

I believe the main reason it was posted was because there is a large number of deer on the island and there was an issue of unleashed dogs chasing them. Easiest way to control this was no access to all..... not as good water now post flood as it was prior....

Set up tables and stoves is what a guide normally does for their clients. So I would think that this would indicate that guides are having lunch on the island. Of course others could be doing this as well!! But I don't see others setting up such elaborate lunches, normally just guides!

Have lunch on an island that's clearly marked as off limits?

Set up tables and stoves is what a guide normally does for their clients. So I would think that this would indicate that guides are having lunch on the island. Of course others could be doing this as well!! But I don't see others setting up such elaborate lunches, normally guides!

Oh yeah, this one was for sure a guide.

In my mind it comes down to the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. Is an angler walking the banks of that stretch breaking the law? Technically, yes. If said angler is acting responsibly by not littering, starting fires, cutting down trees or harassing terrestrial wildlife does the law need to be enforced? In my opinion, no.

I apologize for beating a dead horse, but an obvious example of what can happen when you follow the letter of the law and not the spirit is what happened to Beaver, Fiesta, Millers, Muir, etc.

• Like 1

The signs don't say "Keep off unless you're acting responsibly, then it's ok." So what would the spirit of the law be in your opinion? You're not supposed to litter, start fires, cut down trees, or harass wildlife anywhere in Fish Creek Park (or any other park really) but you're still allowed to be there. This one island must have the signs for a good reason...

• Like 1

The other thing is if said river user sees another river user on the island they will most likely think that it's ok to be there. It may inadvertently cause more people being where they aren't supposed to be therefore impacting the area negatively!

That's true, none of those things are permissible in a park. However, it would be reasonable to expect that by opening an area to the public there will be a certain percentage of the population that won't understand, know or care and those things will happen from time to time. Poplar Island is designated as a wildlife refuge, which I take to mean that it is intended to be a safe place where wildlife can live without being disturbed or harmed. My argument is that a person sticking to the banks (not cutting across the island) and who's only disturbance is the foot prints they leave behind is not creating the conditions that caused the law to be imposed in the first place. In my mind that is the spirit, if not the letter, of the law.

• Like 1

UberFly:

Guides setting up tables and chairs and serving hot meals!!! That went out of fashion 20 years ago.

Most guides just buy Subway or a supermarket sandwiches, a packet of chips and little else. Oh how things have changed. Before I get shot, yes there are those guides who have their lunched prepared by the outfitter or fly shop.

Teck

I know if at least one possibly two that still offer a shore lunch. Just need to pick a better location!! Pretty sure one of them is the culprit as I 've seen him set up there before!!

UberFly:

Guides setting up tables and chairs and serving hot meals!!! That went out of fashion 20 years ago.

Most guides just buy Subway or a supermarket sandwiches, a packet of chips and little else. Oh how things have changed. Before I get shot, yes there are those guides who have their lunched prepared by the outfitter or fly shop.

Or Spolumbos

Guys I'm not familiar with mallard point or bankside where exactly is this? I usually just park my boat in position to fish what I want. But i do stop at some small islands and fish on foot, never noticed any sign's on any of them.

• 1 year later...

It's clear to me that you are not allowed on the island, eg. high water mark - roughly where the cobbles end and organic matter, vegetation start. Makes sense to me. Does that preclude people from wading in the water on either side of the island though? I don't think it does, but I'm curious what others interpretation is on this.

• Like 1

It's clear to me that you are not allowed on the island, eg. high water mark - roughly where the cobbles end and organic matter, vegetation start. Makes sense to me. Does that preclude people from wading in the water on either side of the island though? I don't think it does, but I'm curious what others interpretation is on this.

Asked one of the fish creek park COs about it last year. You're ok below the high water mark like bcube posted earlier but not above it.

• Like 1