Fly Fusion Forums

Trolling Motor For Hyde Aluminum Drift Boat

Hi I'm a total noob to trolling motors. But I'm in the market for one for my aluminum Hyde for when I do take the daughter out so I won't have to worry about rowing. I have a motor mount so that's handy as well

Can anyone recommend what would be the most ideal setup. I guess money isn't really an issue. I prefer comfort and quality over price. But not too expensive.

thanks

Owned several boats throughthe years. I have had excellent experience with Minn Kota. Solid build, owned 3 that all performed flawless. I would go at least 55lb thrust, bigger if you can afford it. Also had a Minn Kota Terrvora 80lbs on my old Bosten Whaler and it pushed her along great even in ocean swells. I think the ultimate would be 80lb 24v., needs the more batteries but very nice.

You ll want the maximizer as it uses much less battery. 55 lb is enough only need one battery then. I use the bow mount so i can control with the foot pedal but the tiller steer would also work just need tge exstention so you can stay in the rowers seat

Thanks for the suggestions guys

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/45039/minn-kota-endura-max

Or

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/6729/minn-kota-traxxis-transom-mount-trolling-motors

These two are what I'm looking at pulling the trigger on. Does it matter if it's a 36" shaft or 42". The first one looks like it has the maximizer on it but only comes with 42" shaft.

The other one comes in a 36" shaft.

I don't know what to do

Batteries are rated in amp/hrs,more the better.Sizes are usually a group 27 or 31 IIRC A large battery kept on the lower speeds will last a weekend if used sparingly.If you like to rip around and have it in rabbit all the time then a battery will only last an afternoon.

I have both the 55 and the 80 in my drift boat. Use the 55 as a spare in case the 80 craps out. You don't want to row a drift boat into a head wind if your motor craps out. I used the 55 the first season and it was OK until the wind came up. Had to run at full throttle , burned out all my batteries and just to made it to the dock. With the 80 I've had no issues more power and at lower speeds, gives the option to run and gun to various locations and have never been pushed backwards in a head wind. Always have a spare battery or set of batteries, an inline surge protector, and a switch to change battery banks.

Ray

I have both the 55 and the 80 in my drift boat. Use the 55 as a spare in case the 80 craps out. You don't want to row a drift boat into a head wind if your motor craps out. I used the 55 the first season and it was OK until the wind came up. Had to run at full throttle , burned out all my batteries and just to made it to the dock. With the 80 I've had no issues more power and at lower speeds, gives the option to run and gun to various locations and have never been pushed backwards in a head wind. Always have a spare battery or set of batteries, an inline surge protector, and a switch to change battery banks.

Ray

Ray, curious about the battery bank setup. Pls Pm me.

I have had several deep cycle batteries for my 55lb Minnkota, first bought a Bass Pro and it wasn't great, last season I got a costco deep cycle (biggest one you can get) and it's WAY better, half the price and has a warrentee!

Definitely recommend the Costco Battery - single charge works for a camping weekend, if you use is sparingly...

Note - don't bother with the solar panel, better off boosting off a truck or charging back at camp - which is what i had to do with Bass Pro batttery

Hope this helps,

EM