Fly Fusion Forums

Ghost Valley

I just find it sad that these people don't have any respect for our lands. It's ridiculous that people don't hold themselves to a higher standard when using public lands, as you said fishinglivin I'm sure they would be upset if we did this to their land, so why is it ok for them to do this to all of our public lands.

We need more enforcement, when you look at the eastern slopes from the castle all the way up to the ram, these issues are prevalent and only getting worse. Unless we get more enforcement, stiffer fines that make these people think twice about their actions and a change in attitude about how as individuals we use public lands I'm affraid it will reach a point where our lands will be destroyed.

What will it take for the govt to see and realize that unless more enforcement and stiffer fines are what we need to protect our eastern slopes..

These people are just straight up d-bags. Probably the same type who drop their garbage on the ground even though there's a trash can 5 feet away.

A few of the off road groups usually put together clean-ups for McLean and the Ghost after May long weekend. If anyone is interested in helping instead of just venting their outrage on the internet let me know.

I just find it sad that these people don't have any respect for our lands. It's ridiculous that people don't hold themselves to a higher standard when using public lands, as you said fishinglivin I'm sure they would be upset if we did this to their land, so why is it ok for them to do this to all of our public lands.

We need more enforcement, when you look at the eastern slopes from the castle all the way up to the ram, these issues are prevalent and only getting worse. Unless we get more enforcement, stiffer fines that make these people think twice about their actions and a change in attitude about how as individuals we use public lands I'm affraid it will reach a point where our lands will be destroyed.

What will it take for the govt to see and realize that unless more enforcement and stiffer fines are what we need to protect our eastern slopes..

Agreed, but in far too many areas there's already irreparable damages. This extends all the way past the Ram/Kiska FLUZ, this goes all the way up the east slopes to grande prairie prit near. I don't understand how people don't have any regard for their own backyard. It's setting an example for new users, too. Though the influx of people to the province has slowed due to the current economic situation, it almost appears to me that new users who see this going on, with no consequences, feel that this is acceptable. The oldie but goodie, you don't know what you got til it's gone, is going to start ringing true before long.

These people are just straight up d-bags. Probably the same type who drop their garbage on the ground even though there's a trash can 5 feet away.

A few of the off road groups usually put together clean-ups for McLean and the Ghost after May long weekend. If anyone is interested in helping instead of just venting their outrage on the internet let me know.

Exactly. There are far too many who complain on the internet and it stops there. Put your money where your mouth is! Get your boots on the ground and get out there, or donate to the cause. Although it shouldn't need to be done in the first place, there are few things more satisfying than cleaning up some A holes mess at a random campsite and have other users drive by and stare in utter shock at persons cleaning up a mess made out in the forestry. I believe if more people made a scene of doing this that people may start to get the point. I just hauled an entire 8 foot truck box of garbage and other crap out of some abandoned leases this past week. I only hope that others can do the same. If our older generation could see how we've treated the west country and the state we have left it in now there would be tears in their eyes. I took my mother for a drive out around Swan Lake recently, first time she's been out there in 20 years, and she just could not believe what she saw. Between feral horses, landscape and riparian destruction, and garbage/mess left behind by campers, she asked the same question, how can people have such blatant disregard for their backyard.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Clean-up event in Ghost Public Land-use Zone:
Ghost River Rediscovery and Enviros Wilderness School is organizing a clean-up event in the Ghost along TransAlta Road.
When: June 11th, 10AM-4PM: You don't need to commit to the entire day. Feel free to come out for a few hours.
Where: Trappers Hill Lodge, bottom of the big hill, Trans Alta road ~ 8km West of the Bar C and 940.
What: A day of cleaning up the campsites and access points along the TransAlta Road. Gloves, garbage bags, trailers for hauling garbage and bins will be supplied by the organizers.
Food: Ghost River Rediscovery and Enviros will be hosting a dinner between 4:30-6pm (burgers and smokies). Please preorder dinner (free, they just want to make sure they have enough). Bring your own lunch, water and snacks.
Please see the following link for further details and to sign up for the event:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/great-ghost-clean-up-tickets-25097949643

• Like 1