Fly Fusion Forums

Floating The Bow For The First Time

Hi All,

I am looking at picking up a pontoon for floating the bow and am looking for some pointers. What to look for when purchasing a pontoon? Is maneuvering on the bow tricky? Are there any spots to watch out for?

Any tips or tricks for purchasing a pontoon and also for floating would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I am looking at picking up a pontoon for floating the bow and am looking for some pointers. What to look for when purchasing a pontoon? Is maneuvering on the bow tricky? Are there any spots to watch out for?

Any tips or tricks for purchasing a pontoon and also for floating would be greatly appreciated.

I have a fish cat 9IR. I found it to be perfect for the lakes and the bow. Its easily maneuverable and light weight. But like bigfry said. Take it out on the lake and paddle around. Get a feel for it. And of course wear a set of flippers. Allows you to control the boat with out the oars. I also do this on the bow. Allows you to fish more and have a ton more boat control in the current. Just lift your feet when she gets shallow. Tough on the ankles.

As for tips on the bow. Most of the it is easy to row. Of course there are a few spots south of the city that are a little bit tougher. I always think a section might be tough to get through but the toon handles like a dream and not once have I ever been worried about tipping over. The worst spot I would say is at the highwood/bow confluence. Large rapids right now. Stay to the right and you will be fine! Have fun out there.