Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Rivertek 2 Boa...thoughts?

I broke down and bought the Simms Rivertek Boa's while I was in Whitefish this past weekend. I saved a bit of money even with the exchange.

I guess we will see how they work out. First thing is to get replacement laces from BOA!!

Thanks all for your input...

The boa system is great until they break then it's a total nightmare. Caring an extra set of laces and replacing them is easy. Replacing the boa system on the side of the river...not so much. Personally I would stay away from the boa but that's just me

• 7 months later...

Update:

First season with the Simms Rivertek II Boa and they were awesome. Absolutely no problems with lacing system. They are a lot heavier than my previous wading boots and it took a few trips to break them in, but overall I am pleased.

I've been using the Boa system on Korkers boots for several years now and I don't recommend it. Depending on where you fish, it can get really jammed up with clay. The boots never really get tight and need to be re-tightened several times at the beginning of the day. I had one break deep in the woods near Water Valley and the walk out was horrible. As noted above, streamside replacement pushes the envelope of practicality. The initial attraction was the swap-able soles, but Sticky Rubber soles are worse than old running shoes. At least it's easy to pull the soles off and bleach, but I'll be going back to laces when these wear out.

Update:

First season with the Simms Rivertek II Boa and they were awesome. Absolutely no problems with lacing system. They are a lot heavier than my previous wading boots and it took a few trips to break them in, but overall I am pleased.

Keep an eye on the stitching, on the side of the boot as well as the toe cap area. Mine had to go back after one season. They were replaced, but, had to buy backup boots being mid season. Love the boots, and the BOA system.

• Like 1

Spurly....They improved the boot from the original Rivertek. Did you have the Rivertek 2?

Yes. My boots were Riverteck 2 boots, my backups were G4, with BOA ,which I also liked, but they had the crank button on the side of the boot rather than centre. I prefer the Riverteck 2 boots, my next will be rubber sole though.

I had a set of Rivertek Boas that were in almost identical condition to Bailey's, also after two seasons. In that time I replaced seven laces. The first lace I broke was on ice, the rest were on sticks and similar snags that got me while hiking along streams.

I did get the free replacements each time but once when I needed them while on a trip. However Boa will send a replacement set of laces and a spare set to keep with you or take along on a trip.