Fly Fusion Forums

Winston Biii Th Micro Spey Rod

427Ranger

Hello,

I'm a Winston rod fan and I own a couple of discontinued BIIMX series spey rods. I use the 11.5' 430-450 grain, the smallest spey rod in this series, to swing buggers and nymph/worm rigs alongside the banks of the Bow. However, I feel this rod is too much for this river, well, maybe. :glare: I'm thinking of buying the Micro Spey as my dedicated Bow spey rod for the type of fishing I describe. Anyone own the the Winston Micro Spey and willing to throw their opinion on here?

Thanks.

I thought about a Micro Spey or one of the lighter Sage Ones but ended up sticking with my switch after hooking into some big fish while swinging streamers last fall. There are also plenty of times on windy days that I'm glad I have some extra backbone to get a big streamer out there.

I thought about a Micro Spey or one of the lighter Sage Ones but ended up sticking with my switch after hooking into some big fish while swinging streamers last fall. There are also plenty of times on windy days that I'm glad I have some extra backbone to get a big streamer out there.

Good points, especially, about casting against the wind. Even though I rarely cast when the wind has picked up it's good to have that extra backbone. Thanks.

I have the 4110 micro Spey and really enjoy it on the Bow. I mainly have been using it to swing small streamers and wet flies. Patiently wainpting for the stoneflies to try skating some flies on the surface.

I found the 4wt won't do it all, it struggles with the larger streamers and heavier sink tips. The 11 1/2' 6/7 biimx that you have is better suited for that.

The 5wt is a little more rounded then either forementioned rod, I have played around with one a couple of times but haven't pulled the trigger on one .......... Yet