Fly Fusion Forums

Bend In The Bow Park

The City of Calgary is looking for public input for the development of the new Bend-in-the-Bow Park that links the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary to Pearce Estate Park. The development will include bank side access to the redeveloped Harvie Passage. It is hoped that drift boat access will be included in the development. If there is sufficient public support there is a hope that there will be launch and take-out available above and below Harvie Passage. This will open up the upper Bow River to more float opportunities.

Go to the following website link to input your support

calgary.ca/bendinthebow

• Like 2

I don't mean to piss on your parade, but a boat launch directly above the passage is a waste of money if no other launches upstream are open. Why would you want to drop in just above the passage, just to float through?

The existing launches along the Bow need to be opened prior to any new launches being made useless.

Jayhad:

Nothing has been done on the public access issue for 10 years. Don't expect change overnight.

There was an initial push to get the boat access points open to the public last year. There is certainly more interest in achieving this goal now, but unfortunately the fishing community is very poorly organized to present a united front to city administration and counsellors.

As I have mentioned in other topics there is a new group, Calgary River Users Alliance (CRUA) that consists of more than 12 local river users organizations, that has a mandate to improve not only access but the infrastructure at river edge, e.g., wash-rooms, tables and benches.

Is there a place for an organization to represent solely fishing interests in Southern Alberta. If so let me know.

• Like 1

Comments tend to be looking for access, but no parking. That typically does not work very well. I know the residence in the community were very much against a boat launch in the area during the planning for the original Harvie Passage. River left blow the passage but upstream of Cushing Bridge would not work due to safety issues and no "safe" method on of off 17th street. The current launch on river right was discounted by the kayakers as it was "too far away", and the fire department was fed up with people parking in their turning area. The Zoo parking area access was also considered, but that would require crossing Nose Creek (there is a bridge in place) and the railway at a level crossing which would require a proper level crossing at a $1,000,000 retrofit - so that was dropped too. Inglewood is a wildlife sanctuary so there is no access for fishing.

But maybe there is an option under the railway crossing near Odgen Road? There is a road to the river on river right and there would be decent parking potential there as well. It is also on a quiet bend of the river so a good starting point. just a thought.

Troutfriend:

All what you have said is historically correct. But the redeveloped Harvie Passage site does have a boat ramp built into the last pool of low flow passage. This ramp will also serve as a service access across the island to the high flow channel. Road access will be needed for service vehicles.

The city needs to come up with a boat access plan - not just shoot everything down. 15 to 20 years ago there were 6 plus boat city launches used by the public. Now there is only one owned by the city - Graves Bridge and that could be lost to flood mitigation work next year.. Fish Creek is a provincial property and does not count in the equation. Over the past 20 years the number of fishing boats using the river has increased at an incredible rate. The city needs to address this issue if Calgary is to be called a world class fishery.

It is my understanding that Ogden Road access point you refer to is Canadian Pacific property, best of luck getting any movement there.

We just need to keep pressure up on any city developments to service river users needs.

• Like 1

Jpinkster:

Thanks for your comments on CP. There are a number of "interesting" stories around the guiding community regarding accessing the Bow at Ogden. I have not put a drift boat in at Ogden for 30 years and have no intention on doing so in the near future.

I see that the City of Calgary's Bend-in-the-Bow engagement website has received considerable support for boat access. Good to see.

• Like 1