Fly Fusion Forums

First Time In Cabelas

Their flyfishing selection is awful. Walmart has a better selection.

I was about to say the same thing....the fly section is pretty much unmanned yet they always have a person or two in their clearance section where they try to unload their discontinued crap. The Fly materials are sparse, disorganized, and overpriced. I wasn't impressed either.

I was about to say the same thing....the fly section is pretty much unmanned yet they always have a person or two in their clearance section where they try to unload their discontinued crap. The Fly materials are sparse, disorganized, and overpriced. I wasn't impressed either.

Fly fishing is kind of a niche market. Cabela's and Bass Pro probably only have a fly fishing section to either draw people in who'll then buy a new rifle instead, or when you go in to buy some hunting gear you'll remember you also need dubbing and even though it's more expensive it's still cheaper than the cost of gas to make a second stop.

Almost every fly shop I can think of is a single location that's locally owned and operated and they all do fly fishing way better than any big box chain. Support your local fly shop B)

• Like 2

Fly fishing is kind of a niche market. Cabela's and Bass Pro probably only have a fly fishing section to either draw people in who'll then buy a new rifle instead, or when you go in to buy some hunting gear you'll remember you also need dubbing and even though it's more expensive it's still cheaper than the cost of gas to make a second stop.

Almost every fly shop I can think of is a single location that's locally owned and operated and they all do fly fishing way better than any big box chain. Support your local fly shop B)

I do 90 percent of the time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that Cabela's fly section is trash. Only good thing I've ever found were the Grubb wading boots... cheap and awesome!

I tend to stick to either fish tales or OFF. Was a southbow guy before they closed shop.

• 4 years later...

Bass pro is headed down hill now also. 
I drove across Calgary to get 4 specific things for tying ( hooks flash ect. ) 

Went  0 for 4 . The salesman said they can’t get stock sent to Canada.

Fly fishing is only a nich market and not worth there time. 

Supporting your local independent businesses is the way to go. These shops are more than willing to order items for you if it is not in stock. Their wealth of information and willingness to share is far beyond that of a big box retailer that only cares about the corporate picture.

Fish Often 

Travel Safely