Fly Fusion Forums

Worm Nymph Rig

Have been having some significant problems with breakage on the top fly of my nymph rig recently, lost several on the Crow and a big brute on the Bow today. Running 3x off the fly line to a swivel, then 4x to a size 6 wire worm and 4x again to a dropper. I have always kind of realized the 4x tippet to a worm that hook size was a little undersized, but obviously have been going for the reduced visibilty of the smaller tippet. Im fearing the solution to this problem is going to 3x to the worm, but am a little concerned about going away from something that has worked well for an awful lot of seasons. Just wanted to quiz the Bow River pros out there how they go about rigging up to a larger worm, and if the 3x has worked solid for others. The worm always seems to produce on that river, and losing that big boy today makes me think I have to reevaluate the process possibly. Any tips?

Have been having some significant problems with breakage on the top fly of my nymph rig recently, lost several on the Crow and a big brute on the Bow today. Running 3x off the fly line to a swivel, then 4x to a size 6 wire worm and 4x again to a dropper. I have always kind of realized the 4x tippet to a worm that hook size was a little undersized, but obviously have been going for the reduced visibilty of the smaller tippet. Im fearing the solution to this problem is going to 3x to the worm, but am a little concerned about going away from something that has worked well for an awful lot of seasons. Just wanted to quiz the Bow River pros out there how they go about rigging up to a larger worm, and if the 3x has worked solid for others. The worm always seems to produce on that river, and losing that big boy today makes me think I have to reevaluate the process possibly. Any tips?

I fish maxima, it is strong at 6lb, highly abrasion resistant, and when I tested it, breaks closer to 7 or 8 lbs, I am thinking of trying 2 ft of fluoro next yr, still too cheap now hahah but honestly, the fish don't seem to care, I'd try 6 lb maxima ultragreen, it won't break!

the salmon, and steelheaders have used it for years too, as it is reliable for big strong fish.

• Like 1

Also check the ends of the wire on your worms. The sharp ends of the wire can cause abrasions on your mono so it'll stay together until you hook a fish, then pop. If you spin the worms yourself you can put a bead at the front and make sure not to wrap the wire too far back if you're tying your dropper to the bend of the hook.

Also check the ends of the wire on your worms. The sharp ends of the wire can cause abrasions on your mono so it'll stay together until you hook a fish, then pop. If you spin the worms yourself you can put a bead at the front and make sure not to wrap the wire too far back if you're tying your dropper to the bend of the hook.

good point, ya can also mash the wire down a bit with a pair of pliers to take the sharp edges off, or likely even forceps would work too

the other thing to look at too if these points don't help is to make sure your improved clinch knots are good and snug (using saliva, and even your finger nail to push the knot tight)...it's something that can get taken for granted by all of us when all ya want to do is get those flies out there in front of a big tank trout

another thing is to make sure the line ya buy isn't from Wally world either, I had a buddy buy some tippet from there and it was rotted, I don't think the turn over is very high at times in the sporting goods section of the land of the blue (and yellow sun)

What Chrome said.

Also, you loose knot strength as the wire diameter of a hook goes up, and tipper stays the same. Negligible except in the extremes, which 4x and a dirty worm is pushing. A loop knot mitigates the issue completely.

If your tieing on a big ol' worm, don't worry too much about how heavy your tippet is. A lot of very experienced guys heed closely to tippet choices by hook size still.

This is too funny...I use 12lb Maxima for nymphing....like they really care when you are worming. Don't try it...it will never work. I tie my upper fly on to a perfection loop with a snelled fly

Monger... What lb test are we using on the streamers? I go with a 14lb steelhead Tippet. I'm now thinking a bit over kill for the bow. Lol

Same 12lb Maxima...if you can land them quicker, isn't that more desirable. If the fish still eat the fly why would it matter. I don't break ANY off, I land them VERY quickly.

Does it make you a better fisherman to nymph with 4lb test and loose flies and take 10 minutes to land a 2-3lb trout? To me, anything over about 2.5 minutes is unnecessary.

10lb Fluoro for stillwater chironomid fishing works fine...when they can sit and stare at the leader. In running water probably not much of an issue....

Why would you not use the strongest line you can get away with to land the fish in the quickest manner?

Sorry the idea of "overkill" is lost on me

Just an opinion

• Like 3

You can fish 4lb vanish on bow fish without issue. If youre really concerned step it up to 6. Either your worm has some sharp edges or your tippet is stale. Another possibility is that your knot could be breaking or slipping. Remember that fluoro is slippery stuff and needs to be drawn quite tight. Pull hard when drawing knots tight. Better it breaks in your hands than the alternative.

I just bought a trial spool of 6 lb fluoro, never used it before, but I always hear the upside, I'm gonna try it on the last 2 ft of my 6 lb maxima leader, with a surgeons knot to stop split shot from slipping..we'll see, more fish? I'm not sure....if I can't convince myself I'm getting more fish, then I won't be able to justify paying more for it. I may start using a 2-3 ft top section too of 8 lb maxima to avoid losing my strike indicators when I get stuck on a piece of canada, but this is getting to be a lot of knots, and I may just want to get fishing ahaha

I think I am convinced, the fluoro passes the eyeball test for me, it just looks less visible than the mono, and sinks a bit better apparently, getting flies down better potentially. It held up to a 20" trout no problem too, suffix was only $8 a spool too at w/s sports, so not too expensive when only using 2-3 ft of the stuff at a go, damn I'm cheap hahaha