Fly Fusion Forums

Jet Boat

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about trading in my drift boat for something with a bit of power, dont have time to get out for as many floats as I would like and was thinking this would be a better way for me to get to some good water. Whats the best thing to look at getting for mainly the bow river?

Cheers,

Gals pal,

For several years I used a Riffle Runner which was a poor man's jet system that bolted onto the cavation plate of a prop style outboard, My 9.9 was capable of 12 miles an hour upstream in the Bow. Used a 12' Harbourcraft boat.

Don

Best hmm, I guess it depends on what you want to do with your jet, do you want to be able to fish out of it on the drift or is it just going to be utilized as a hole taxi?

Depending on your answer there, you are either going with a power drifter or a jet boat.

For a jet boat you can go pretty cheap and get a jon with a 60/40 jet outboard or you can spend upward of 100k on an inboard.

I can't tell you what I would buy because I've just bought an 11' inboard and most wouldn't want a boat that small. The common is 16 - 19 on the bow, next decision is stand up console or seated? And then the thousands of options from there.

You can never have enough cup holders

and remember on the Bow there is no such thing as to much HP, you'll want it to low hole the guide boats :gkhan:

• Like 2

Sounds like a little education is needed here.

You can't use a jet boat in the City and remember the City of Calgary recently expanded down the left side of the river beyond Policeman's flats.

This may well mean your nearest access on the Bow is MacKinnons

Sounds like a little education is needed here.

You can't use a jet boat in the City and remember the City of Calgary recently expanded down the left side of the river beyond Policeman's flats.

This may well mean your nearest access on the Bow is MacKinnons

Fine is cheep , bylaw ticket , when was the last time you seen a bylaw officer in a sled on the river , if one was waving for you to come to shore , I'm sure some flip them the bird ,

Last time I seen a jet boat up in the city section , he took out at policemans and it was out of city limits , RCMP didn't want anything to do with it

I googled Riffle Runner and the latest reference I came across was 1980. I think your age is showing Don.. :D

Mike

Mike, age or not, the Riffle Runner was used successfully on outboards to 50 hp. In my case, the big advantage, the whole thing got loaded onto or into the truck. I used it on a bunch of rivers.

Don

• Like 1

A visit from the RCMP , so what , that don't mean anything , did he get fined , I bet not , maybe a talking to , it's a city thing ,

I was at the boat launch at policemans when the owner of the big huge yellow jet boat that was way up in the city section came off and the Same thing , RCMP just had a chat with him , no ticket or fine as he was then out of city limits

As for me , I'v had my jet boat above the Deerfoot bridge before , befor it was in the city section , used to be near the pump house if I can remember as the cut off line for city section , I think it now the Deerfoot bridge or maybe it's still way above that

You need to think out side of the box Galspal.

What we do down south is just borrow a good sized track hoe from one of the many idle oil and gas contractors and dig your self a nice long deep run close to home so you don't have to worry about all that up and down the river stuff. Just use camo - make sure you have a bearded operator with a flat brimmed hat and white oakleys smoking one of them vapor things wearing capris.....they wont notice a thing.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Dutchie has an attitude that will catch up to him one day. A responsible attitude respecting the laws in place will continue to allow responsible jet boat owners to use the river. Remember there are many people and an ever increasing number who believe jet boats should not be allowed above MacKinnons. Once this lobby group gets big enough to pressure regulatory agencies, recreational jet boat use on the Bow will be over.

• Like 1

Yes , I guess I got a bad attitude , shame on me for following the rules , I'v never taken a jet boat up into the city limit , the city limits was not the Deerfoot bridge , the city limits was above that

Those who think that jet boats shouldn't be above MacKinnons , they have a special interest in it , and if that happens , them same people would next would be saying no jet boats above carsland ,

• Like 1

Unfortunately Dutchie has an attitude that will catch up to him one day. A responsible attitude respecting the laws in place will continue to allow responsible jet boat owners to use the river. Remember there are many people and an ever increasing number who believe jet boats should not be allowed above MacKinnons. Once this lobby group gets big enough to pressure regulatory agencies, recreational jet boat use on the Bow will be over.

or on the river at all...

I hardly ever go above MacKinnon's with my Jon/Jet. Too many people, boats and angry people mad at the jet fishermen. But to be honest, when I put in at Johnsons, I seldom see any other fisher people unless they are running a jet themselves. In early and out before the floaters come down. Works for me. Having said that, I am always looking out for other people when boating, I try to follow the rules, try not to piss anyone off if I have to go by them, but also to be there if anyone is in need (such as a medical emergency, boater problems, etc. I am sure most jet boater guys would do the same. I always carry a first aid kit, water, aspirin, sunscreen,cell phone, and emergency tool kit, just in case someone were to need it. Let's look out for each other, be respectful of other persons on the water and try to enjoy this thing called fishing, (which most of use our jets to do) without all the BS about jets versus drift.

My 2 cents worth.

Have a great day!

• Like 8

Yes , I guess I got a bad attitude , shame on me for following the rules , I'v never taken a jet boat up into the city limit , the city limits was not the Deerfoot bridge , the city limits was above that Those who think that jet boats shouldn't be above MacKinnons , they have a special interest in it , and if that happens , them same people would next would be saying no jet boats above carsland ,

If i recall right, you got the jet in 2010 or so. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but I recall you above deerfoot during the stonefly times in 2011-2012....

The city limit included Deerfoot by 2007. Feel free to look at the municipal maps here:

https://data.calgary.ca/OpenData/Pages/DatasetListingAlphabetical.aspx

So glad to hear you were breaking the law. original.jpg

• Like 2