Fly Fusion Forums

Epic 686 Build

The mail arrived today with something that I spent the past year lusting over, an epic 686 fiberglass rod. These blanks are from a small company out of New Zealand called Swift. I bought the rod as a ready to build kit, which the company offers. The only experience I have in the rod-building department is wrapping out a bamboo rod I purchased a couple years ago. For that I used spar urethane and this will be my first time using epoxy. I thought I would document the process, as these have been some of my favorite threads on other sites. I don't have any affiliation with swift, so you will get my unbiased views on the process from a beginners perspective. It should be fun.

Why did I choose this rod?

Currently my favorite rod to fish is a 7' 9" 5 wt bamboo rod. I like how you feel the rod load and unload when casting, and it makes hooking an average fish feel like a monster. However I struggle with it when using heavier nymphs and streamers. Also with the shorter length, mending is a little harder. The biggest downsides that I find are the metal ferrules, extra care required and I am always worried that I'm going to break it.

I'm hoping that the 686 will be my go to rod for the bow. These rods have a reputation of being pretty bombproof and it will hopefully have the feel that I'm looking for. The 686 is highly regarded in the Fiberglass Fly Rod Forum and is considered fast... for glass. Putting the blank sections together and making a couple casts it's definitely a lot slower than any of my other graphite rods but quicker than the bamboo.

Getting the Rod

I ordered the rod online through their website. I asked a lot of questions before ordering and the owner of the company, Carl McNeil, was usually the one who answered. I thought that was pretty cool. I waited a little longer to place my order, as I had heard that they were in the process of changing the 686 from a 3pc to a 4pc. All reports say that swift has been pretty spot on in retaining the action when moving from 3pc to 4pc, but it's early days and there aren't a lot 4pc 686 rods in the wild yet. I liked the idea of having fewer pieces, however I've already checked and the 4pc will fit in my suitcase.

I chose the 'nude' color just because I hadn't seen anything like. They have a bunch of colors and every now and again they will do a special edition. You can choose different grips (full wells, cigar, western) I chose western and what color your reel seat is, I chose black.

I ordered the rod on Feb 29th, it was shipped from New Zealand on March 3 and I just got it today. I was pretty surprised by the speed.

If you’re looking to order a rod, there is an online coupon: 'bigfish' that gets 10% off your order.

Unboxing

The packaging is pretty slick. The kit includes everything you need to build the rod. The box even converts to a rod-building stand if you don't have one. The rod tube is fiberglass, which I have never seen before. It's super light and feels really strong, it's also nice that it won't dent like aluminum. The cork looks to be nice quality and the grip is really comfortable. The other components look to be equally nice. Snake brand universal guides, ZiCr stripping guide, 100wt silk thread included as well as various epoxies

This what came with it:

• Like 5

How is there warranty policy? Really nice looking glass. Can't wait to see finished pictures.

It looks pretty standard. From their website: 'Every new Epic fly rod or blank that we produce is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty. This warranty covers failure due to defects in material or workmanship of our product. Any Epic fly rod built by the Swift Fly Fishing company that fails due to misuse, negligence or normal wear-and-tear will be repaired or replaced at a nominal cost plus shipping at our discretion.' More info http://swiftflyfishing.com/pages/warrantees-and-returns

I have heard of a few people breaking a tip through non-fishing related accidents (car door) and swift sent them a new tip section. No idea how much it cost.

Epic post Roast!

I spent many a winter on the west coast stoking a wood fire and rebuilding old glass salmon rods. I regret selling an old Lami S glas 686 4pc. It was translucent honey brown. Is your blank see-thru?

Way too much money.

I would by a Butter Stick or Blue Halo before I would go for this system.

Just me..

Sometimes its not about the cost, its about the process.

Catching a fish on a rod you built, is so much more meaningful.....a value that you cannot monetize.

Its why we tie flies, build rods, hike to unreachable places.

• Like 7

Sometimes its not about the cost, its about the process.

Catching a fish on a rod you built, is so much more meaningful.....a value that you cannot monetize.

Its why we tie flies, build rods, hike to unreachable places.

This ^^^^^^^ :bow:

Still haven't had a chance to begin the build process, however I hope to get going this weekend. I haven't been totally idle, I have been gathering additional items for the build as well as re-reading the instructions.

I needed to pick up some razor blades to cut the silk, some blue masking tape to place the guides, and get some denatured alcohol. I found everything but the denatured alcohol.

The instructions say to get some from a drugstore, and not a hardware store as the hardware store varieties can be dyed. I checked my local shoppers drug mart and they don't have any so I'm still on the hunt.

I also picked up a pack of colored china markers while at home depot. The marker that came shipped with the rod is white, which makes it hard to see on a white blank. It would work, however having more contrast will make things easier.

As for some of the other comments, I believe that blanks that are trout sized are transparent, but still no word on their gender;) Their 8 wt and 12 wt rods may be a more solid color, but I don't know. Mine kind of glows when you put it in direct sunlight. See the image below of some other colors in the sun:

http://www.headhuntersflyshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/epic_rods-1024x576.jpg

As for the price of the blank, yeah they're expensive. When I started looking at these, our dollar was on par with the US, and I have been watching the price steadily increase. When I was originally looking, the kit price was about $475-$500. However I had to sell some fishing stuff before I could get one, so I had to wait until I had saved up;) They aren't as expensive as a Tom Morgan blank, but they are on the high side for glass. Carl designed the tapers and owns them and has a company called CTS make them in New Zealand.

At the fishing show I took a hard look and cast a blue halo. Those blanks as roughly $100 USD less than an epic. The 5wt blue halo was quite soft, and I don't think it would be well suited for heavier nymphs and streamers. The only other option was the 7wt, which was a bit heavy, and I don't currently own any 7wt gear. I was drawn to the idea of making my own rod, so I never really considered a butterstick. However it is a lot of money to pay for something that you can potentially screw up. I'll be taking my time and hopefully all will go well.

The closest graphite that I have cast might be a redington classic trout. I haven't cast one of those in a long time so I might be way off. I will have a better impression when it's fully built and I can actually cast a line. I'm not a real gear nut who has tried dozens of rods so I'm not the best guy to ask. I think that I have read the new orvis superfine glass 6wt may have a similar action to the epic, however I don't think shops like country pleasure stock the orvis glass rods.

Roast, ask at the pharmacy counter for some 99% isopropyl alcohol......denatured alcohol is very hard to find in Canada. The guys who do gel coat work on boats use it as well, maybe check with a boat place here in town?

I have heard denatured alochol is available in Quebec over the counter. Not much help when your here and they are there.

I know FT has a rod building section, maybe they have a commercial alternative you could use?

Great thread, glad you dropped the hammer on one of these....I sure wanted to get one when the dollar was at par....

• Like 1

The Epic/Swift glass line is considered strongly progressive fast action glass and is probably one of the better blanks for someone who has cast only faster graphite up to now. You really can't push glass like you can graphite, you have to relax and wait for rod to do the work thus many casters think glass is wimpy in comparison..

• Like 1

Started the build this weekend. The first step was to inspect the blank, no issues that I could see. Next was spining and marking the blank. One suggestion I found online was to use a piece of glass so that the blank rolls easily and doesn't dig into the surface your applying pressure to.

Next was to mark the guide locations. This is where I have run into the first small snag on the build and I believe it is due to the recent switch from 3pc to 4pc. The guide placement chart that came with the rod states that the highlighted guide (the 6th) would be close to a ferrule. On my blank it does not. I checked with the online guide spacing chart and it's different than the one they sent. I believe it's the updated one, however I have contacted swift to find out.

http://s650.photobucket.com/user/B_Line/media/A42D553F-A17F-4D23-B223-47AA6812619C.jpg.html]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/B_Line/A42D553F-A17F-4D23-B223-47AA6812619C.jpg[/url]

I have marked the blank based on the online guide and will change it if necessary.

On the denatured alcohol search, I think I have tracked down a source (petrocraft products) and will go later this week. None of the drugstores I contacted carried it.

• Like 1

What is the denatured for? If just for thinner, acetone works well for epoxy. I do one part each for the first coat, and lay it very thin, just soaking the wraps.

I've cast the blue halo and butter sticks and was not impressed. I'd guess they don't compare with epic. One of the demo rods blue halo had at the show wasn't even straight. There are so many quality vintage rods out there, and even blanks, I can't see getting one of those. Or a small bump in price gets you into quality modern stuff.