Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Access In The City Of Calgary

Hi fly fishers!

You may be interest in knowing that an alliance of all river users within the City of Calgary is in the formation stage. For anyone using the city boat launches this is an important issue. Currently there are only 2 boat launches from a total of more than 8 that a trailered boat can access. They are Glenmore and Fish Creek. To be blunt, as the city has grown there has been a decrease in access. This has to change. Discussions have started with the City of Calgary officials that will hopefully see 17 Ave SE (Curshing Bridge) and Quarry Park added to the list of public access points.

In addition, Harvie Passage Redevelopment will start later this year with a new low flow channel completed in 2017. This will allow for floats through the city core, taking out at either 17 Ave SE or Glenmore.

If you are interested in getting involved in negotiations please keep in touch with this post.

Regards: Fishteck

• Like 7

Fishteck,

I work at City Hall for one of the Councillors. If I can be of assistance, please let me know. Quarry Park is in my councillor's ward, so we may certainly have a role to play there. With that said, I have been told that launch is for Fire Department use only and wouldn't be likely to change.

• Like 1

jpinster,

The historical belief has been that the the Fire Department has the right to close boat launches as they wish. There is a growing opinion that with appropriate safeguards to protect the interests and security of Fire Department access an agreement can be worked out to support public access. An example would be the use of Fish Creek Park boat access. Will keep in touch.

• Like 2

The only thing that makes me nervous is a re-hash of what takes place at Graves Bridge. I would love to see boat launch access that is well maintained, but also has barriers in place that prevent folks from driving around on the bank. The boat launch at Fish Creek would be an ideal solution. I drive past Graves Bridge almost every day and my blood just boils...

• Like 3

Agreed. We need more access above Harvie Passage. Baker Park (Stoney Trail), Shouldice and the Eau Claire boat launch are all gated and make getting a river-worthy craft on the water difficult. This only promotes people using Canadian Tire dinghies to float these stretches. I'm very happy to hear there will be a united lobby to get more access; post more details so we can get involved. Thanks for this.

• Like 3

Here is an update:

Baker Park is a double ramp, gate - not locked. Shouldice is a single ramp, gate - not locked. Eau Claire is a double ramp., gate but not locked - problem here would be the high Pathway use and no suitable truck/trailer parking. St.Patrick Island / Zoo, boat ramp no longer available. 17 Ave SE Bridge SE. single ramp gate locked. Glenmore Tr./Graves Bridge, wide open - can see restrictions being put in place to protect river bank/bottom. Quarry Park, is a single ramp,gate locked. Fish Creek double ramp, gate currently locked, should be opened to the public before the end of the month.

The redevelopment of Harvie Passage that should be complete in 2017/8 will give a navigable low flow passage suitable for drift boat passage, with a boat access at the down stream end of the development. This area comes under a new City Parks development called "Bend-in-the-Bow". Search on the City of Calgary Website for info.

There you have it. Negotiation will continue with City of Calgary Department until public access is resolved. Some ramp modifications are needed to gain complete public access. But we are confident that there will be a positive improvement in 2016.

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere, in the proposed redevelopment of St. Patrick's island that there was a plan for a boat launch.

In the list above, I have never seen some of those gates opened to the public (example Bakers Park)

But it sure would be nice if some were.

Could you imagine the 3 day/2 night float you could do? Would be some long days, but doable, I think?

as previously discussed on here and researched by Jayhad, the access is (or was) restricted by the developer not the city, unless things have changed?!

17 Ave SE Bridge SE. single ramp gate locked.

Well if the above is true, that's great news. Has anyone ever used the Eau Claire boat launch? Is it legal to drive across the pathway (on the paved access road) to use the launch? And if Baker Park is unlocked this summer... well, that's just fantastic!

Cushing Bridge / 17 Ave SE. Locked Gate.

To my knowledge, the Fire Department has authorized the locking of the access gate, not the condo development.

St. Patrick's Island

A boat launch was discussed in the early plan but never acted upon. Once the City Parks takes over from CLDC a bot launch could be added to "The Cove"

Glenmore/ Graves Bridge.

A sign has recently been place at the bottom of the ramp prohibiting vehicle access upstream on the gravel bar. This is good news provided the City By-law officers take action. The debate will range on as to the status of this gravel bar - is it river bottom or shoreline. A big difference when it comes to the law.

• Like 2

The Public Lands Act is not at play here. Its whether the City of Calgary has jurisdiction under the Parks & Pathways By-law. This by-law gives the City Park Department jurisdiction over any riverbank up to the water's edge within the boundaries of the City whether it be in a designated city park or natural reserve. Since there is no designated "roadway" on the gravel bar, anyone who enters this area upstream of the new sign ay Graves Bridge, is subject to the city by-law - $200.00 fine.

Or is it a provincial jurisdiction under DFO mandates?If so the fine could be considerably higher.

Nothing about DFO, the city does not have ownership of the bed and the banks (anything under the high water mark) unless they have a disposition in place (see riprap on a bank). They might have overlap with their bylaw, but it doesn't matter unless they or AEP enforce it.

Though DFO could get involved if you could prove harm to fish and fish habitat (and that gravel bar is certainly fish habitat in higher water years).

Anyyyyway. Good to hear there is some motivation in regards to launches in the city. Something that needed to be done for a long time

• 2 weeks later...

The key is to get an agreement with the Fire Department to return to the old status of public access by a responsible boat owners, and then get the Parks Department to make the appropriate improvements to accommodate public access. For example, wider access roadways, adequate parking and turnaround space. Also some of the access points gates need upgrading. Contact your city councillor will help. There should be some movement on this issue before the end of April.

Cheers!