Fly Fusion Forums

New 4 Weight.... $500Ish Budget

Why a 4 weight? go 5 or 6...hell I even bring my 8 sometimes. Don't want to be casting chironomid rigs with that nor do you want to be bombing the bullrushes with damsels in the wind.

That being said, you sound like a man that just wants an excuse to buy a new rod. So in that case, yes a 4 weight is great for lakes.

• Like 2

I like 9 1/2 and 10 ft. rods for lake fishing,10 footers if doing a fair bit of chironimid fishing. However being that you are in a float tube and not a boat (standing platform) of some sort, a 9 ft rod might be a better choice, as landing and netting fish will be easier from the low position on the water. I'd also suggest a 5 wt. for lakes, as wind is often an issue. Should you go for a 10 footer keep in mind that the higher the modulus (= higher cost, lighter wt.) will be bonus on the arm. A medium to medium - fast action would be my choice.

Thanks for all of your advise - I do currently have an 8' 4wgt TFO rod, but it's their entry rod, and I would like to upgrade as a BD present to myself. I also have a 6 and 8wgt rod, but find myself using the 4wgt most of the time, unless I'm nymphing the Bow.

I have a 10' 5wt custom build I could part with. It is a high mod fairly fast (for a 10 ft) taper. Dancraft FT blank and high end components. 4 piece.

I like it with a 6 wt or more, but you may be different. I always liked it best on lakes. A canon with backbone for bigger fish. You could try it out for a bit if interested.

Off the topic of a new rod but I would take the $500 and get into a decent new/used pontoon boat. Sitting a foot or two higher will make a lot of difference. So many advantages of a pontoon over a float tube.

Started in a float tube, then pontoon and now fish lakes from a pram. Still find my old 9' rods are fine.