Fly Fusion Forums

Policemans

Is there any plans in the works for the launch?Judging by whats been done in the past theyre going to need a little help at creating a usable safe launch. They seam to vocus on parking rather then a launch.

A high hoe could dig out the back eddy, remove the rocks out in the current part and we have a much nicer/safer launch.

A couple signs to stoo people from parking at the make shift turn around by the launch would also be nice.

Hoping the next time around they listen to people who actully use the river before they draw up any plans.

• Like 1

One of the big problems with Police is that it isn't Provincially owned (to my understanding). The launch is on private property and therefore private dollars would likely be needed to recover the launch. I suspect fixing it right would cost a couple of million $ at minimum.

Well we dont need millions, make the launch safer. Its only a matter of time before we have a drowning because of the rocks right at the entry point. Then theyll close it down and we'll all lose

Id prefer they kept the parking the way it is anyway. Keeps the non river users with there kias out and makes the shuttle people park down by the enterence. Which seams to work.

• Like 1

Personally I think most guys are launching out of the wrong spot. There's a much better launch if you head straight over the berm, rather then into the eddy, it's just 90% of the people have no idea and park in front of it. Pretty similar to where the original launch was. Was way better when we had the low water last year.

Personally I think most guys are launching out of the wrong spot. There's a much better launch if you head straight over the berm, rather then into the eddy, it's just 90% of the people have no idea and park in front of it. Pretty similar to where the original launch was. Was way better when we had the low water last year.

I think the eddy is a perfect spot to launch a pontoon, water master, etc. out of. If people used the berm spot for drift boats and the eddy for pontoons it'd help relieve a bit of congestion at least.

Think it needs some signage. Most guys just have no idea whats going on there. Something that could be easily achieved.. Something the guide group could look at doing...

Also, work in that area isn't as easy as most people are thinking. It's all within the Bow itself, so will require a Water Act permit for any work. Permits arent a big deal, but getting the necessary items (engineered drawings, etc), take a lot more motivation.

Last week I sent a letter to the to government asking what the plans were because idiots have decided that driving through the adjacent wetlands is OK because it saves them 200 feet of walking. I haven't heard back yet. When we were doing prep work for the 2013 fly fishing championships the word I got was that this area is the responsibility of Fish Creek park but exists with the permission of a private landowner.

• Like 1

Just got a response; unfortunately no specifics:

Thank you for your e-mail expressing concerns on the current state and future of Policeman’s Flats. I have been asked to respond on behalf of Minister Phillips.

At the outset, I would like to point out that this area is not a park. In fact, the ownership of the lands involved in the access road and “Parking Lot” and boat launch areas is complex. The beds and shores of water bodies are crown owned, however they do change and move especially after events such as the 2005 and 2013 floods. The corresponding private land and responsibility over those lands changes in concert with the changing beds and shores.

The department of Environment and Parks is currently involved in evaluating those changes and working towards understanding ownership of the lands. Subsequent to this effort, a strategy to re-establish the Policeman’s Flats boat launch area will explored with affected parties.

I understand your concerns regarding potential environmental impacts on the riparian areas because of the current state of Policemen’s Flats. Please understand that we are working towards re-establishing this facility for the benefit of Albertans.

Best Regards,

Dan Adams, RPFT

Team Lead, Land Approvals

Operations Division

South Sask. Region,

Alberta Environment & Parks

So by the time they get it figured out the river will flood again and change the shore.Start all over again.

This is why if they do the repair...they need to do it the right way.

Find a longer term fix, spend a bit more money on it and make sure you don't have to come back again in a handful of years. If it is publicly funded, I would be uncomfortable wasting tax payer money for a spot fix.

With its location on an outside bend theirs no need to waste more money making a fancy parking lot,dig out the area in the river with all the rocks make it safer.

I wonder what the legalities are?I don't see a sign saying use at own risk.

If it wasn't for the dude that went in there with his bob cat right after the flood we wouldn't of had anything the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Maybe TU could get more involved? They don't seem to do much of anything that benefits anyone in the fishing community. And please do not say its not in their mandate, because fisherman should be their biggest supporters and things that affect them should be something they care about....

As someone on the Bow River board for TU I'll enter the fray a little bit here.

TU's mandate is about habitat. I don't see how boat launches contribute to protecting or preserving critical trout habitat. If you don't see TU doing things that support the angling community, I suggest you look a little deeper. The Bow River Chapter is launching an initiative to provide better education on proper fish handling techniques. In 2015 TU also wrapped up a rehabilitation project for Mallard Point. The stabilization of the bank has greatly improved the fish habitat and allowed for more prime spawning space. You can see more here: http://www.tucanada.org/index.asp?p=2163

Saying that TU isn't doing enough for anglers is a pretty unfair statement to make. The board is always looking for more folks to come be a part of the process. If there are things we could do better, shoot me a DM and I'd be happy to pass them along through the board.

• Like 1

Then why is TU so protective of Jensens boat lauch if its mandate is protecting habitat? Not to mention how much they spent on that. And please don't site Mallard point as anything TU did. The flood did that and they still wasted their money to make it look pretty. All I'm saying is that if TU got more involved in the fishing community they would reach more people and have more people looking out for the river therefore protecting habitat. If they think they are protecting habitat by painting yellow fish downtown, they are barking up the wrong tree.

The new board is largely made up of anglers (I believe at least 4 of us are pretty regular anglers). Suffice to say, we get it.

I've said this over and over again with my various levels of political involvement. If you don't like the way something is being done, get involved and do something about it. Same applies for our fisheries.

• Like 2

Ah i love it when someone joins the board, and immediately starts pointing fingers. Doesn't take much to figure out the tone to get a sense of who it likely is.

Go talk to the AOAA, and see what they're doing for the resource. To confirm, TU isnt making a profit off the resource, while the guides are. Perhaps if they want to keep using the infrastructure that everyone else is paying for, they can step up to the plate and put something to the resource such as this.

Let me be fair. I used to bitch about TU not doing stuff for the fishing community. Now I'm helping them with projects that actually meet their mandate.

Plus, i prefer fish to fishermen..

• Like 3

Then why is TU so protective of Jensens boat lauch if its mandate is protecting habitat? Not to mention how much they spent on that. And please don't site Mallard point as anything TU did. The flood did that and they still wasted their money to make it look pretty. All I'm saying is that if TU got more involved in the fishing community they would reach more people and have more people looking out for the river therefore protecting habitat. If they think they are protecting habitat by painting yellow fish downtown, they are barking up the wrong tree.

If we might inject ourselves into your conversation, the statement that TU did nothing but improve aesthetics at Mallard Point isn't really accurate. The work done there was to deter bank erosion and improve foundation stability of that bank. Something that was pretty necessary considering the bank erosion and resultant instability left by the flood of 2013. As for Policeman's, that is private land and we, as a group, should be careful how much gas we throw on that fire lest we lose it completely.

• Like 6

Personally, I don't mind launching into the back eddy at the "new" policemans... Get the boat in, move boat out of the way, chance to get organized, park the car etc. without impeding launching. I try not to launch there at busy times. If they could remove the big-ass rock where the back-eddy meets the river it would make take-outs a bit easier and ease the tension at higher flows (hey bigfry? ;) ) but the old take-out had its downsides as well. Went for a couple swims getting out of the boat at the deep bank tie-off...

Would like to see some drift-boat capable launches in the nw -whd section built or made available to more than just the fire department and a select group: spread the boat traffic out a little more and open up more water. With all the money that gets spent on statues, public art, bike paths, etc would be nice to see the river get some love. And not more of the pedestrian bridge kind.

• Like 2

TU has historically been a bunch of Fat, Old, rich guy's puffing up to impress themselves..

Haven't seen much real action ever..

That may be the way it used to be, but that isn't what it is now. The board right now has a great mix of experience and youthful exuberance (over half of the board is under the age of 35). It's an energized chapter right now, there are going to be some exciting things happening.

• Like 1

Sat beside our MLA this eve and asked about the boat launch.

I knew the landowner donated the policemans launch area back after 2005 flood.

The land from police down to the water ski course was up for a potential development called sanctuary on the bow.

Anyhow the land that is policemans flats is now owned by the crown confirmed by our MLA & there is no plans for any refurbishment in the near future.

I like Tungsten s original suggestion of some heavy equipment under the radar.

• Like 1