Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Expo -

We have a booth again this year at the Expo, along with tiers at the booth we have members that have kindly donated their time to help kids tie their first fly. Drop by the booth or the fly tying corner and say hi if you are at the show. It's a great break for the winter doldrums.

I just returned from the Fly fishing Expo and as every one says "It's the same every year"....and it was. It was nice to touch base with a few people that I see there every year. I saw some new gear, picked up a few cheap flies from Reel flies, grabbed a bit of swag etc. The highlight and the reason that I went was to hear Tom Rosenbauer's presentation " Taking your fly fishing to the next level". It was awesome. He just explained and simplified the whole game. Excellent!!

• Like 2

First time to the show for me.I went yesterday, before it got crowded and enjoyed looking at all the displays. I got to cast a Sage method 590, as well as the new Hardy Wraith.It was very nice to be able to cast the two rods that I am most interested in, side by side. All in all I was quite happy with the show, and hope to attend again next year.

• Like 1

I just returned from the Fly fishing Expo and as every one says "It's the same every year"....and it was.

I disagree - it was smaller than in past years. It looks like they tried to make it seem like there were as many exhibitors as before by putting curtains up on the one side (the left when you walk in the door where one of the presentation theatres used to be) to make the space smaller.

Not as many exhibitors as before either. Where were Loomis, Echo, Winston, Scott, Airflo, Patagonia, Simms? Pretty sure those companies were here in the past.

I disagree - it was smaller than in past years. It looks like they tried to make it seem like there were as many exhibitors as before by putting curtains up on the one side (the left when you walk in the door where one of the presentation theatres used to be) to make the space smaller.

Not as many exhibitors as before either. Where were Loomis, Echo, Winston, Scott, Airflo, Patagonia, Simms? Pretty sure those companies were here in the past.

I agree, I would have liked to see them there too. I just take it as, 'you don't want to come up to western Canada? That's cool, I'll just buy a Fishpond pack, or Sage/Redington/Loop/Blue Halo/TFO rod, Watermaster craft, etc. instead!'

I like the local flavour that was there today though. Lots of Western Canada/Alberta booths, which I like to see.

Great fun at the FFC booth, thanks very much to Murray and SilverDoctor for organizing it. Teaching all those kids to tie flies will go down as a highlight of 2016!

• Like 1

Snooze it was boring.Same old same old maybe a couple more lady's but the same as every year the best part was leaving.They need way more exhibitors more stuff to look at ect the one isle on Thr north side you ask your self why you even walk down it.After further thought I guess everyone could have been still a sleep when we were there maybe there was some more hustle and bustle later in the morning but I still think they could use some more stuff and I actually wished the drift boats were at the back cause I want to get one this year assuming I still have a job.

The highlight and the reason that I went was to hear Tom Rosenbauer's presentation " Taking your fly fishing to the next level". It was awesome. He just explained and simplified the whole game. Excellent!!

Totally agree, really enjoyed his presentation. He is such an excellent teacher who really drives home the message: as long as you're having fun, your doing it right. Trout, carp, tenkara, czech nymphing, big streamers... who cares. I think that many fly fisherman loose sight of this.

I also loved both of Borgers sessions today. He is the foil to resenbauer, as his presentations have a more serious tone. He is a weath of knowledge, and I like his scientific approach to the sport, for me that's fun.

They're both great.

As for the show, ya it's similar to other years. But where else can you try the latest rods when it's -10 C outside. It got me excited for spring and has given me a kick in the but to start tying for next season.

• Like 1

As a novice to the sport, and this being only my second Expo, I really enjoyed it again this year. I took in 2 workshops (Rosenbauer and Borger) which were both excellent. It "felt" to me like there was more going on this year... maybe a bit less floor space, but maybe that was as a result of the big boats not being there this year (they took up a huge amount of real estate last year). I had way less time to look over the booths this year, as me and my buggered hand were fading fast in the mid-afternoon. Thought both Iron Bow and Fish Tales had some great clearance/sale stuff happening, and even though I don't really need anything, I seem to always manage to find a few flies at Reelflies and/or Silvertip. There seemed to be a more active tiers row this year. A few less destination/lodge places maybe? Yes, it would be nice to see a few more of the big rod/reel/equipment manufacturers there, but I'm not sure the organizers can be faulted for them deciding not to show... I'm sure the invite was put out to all of them. I am a bit surprised that given Rosenbauer was there, that Orvis didn't have a stronger presence. I guess it's a long trek to make from Vermont with your wares.

A big thanks has to go to Murray and Doc and everyone else who volunteers at the FFC kids tying area. It is awesome to watch a youngster tying their first fly, as my son did last year.

• Like 3

Went to Borger's nymph talk and Rowley's mayfly seminar. Both guys are good communicators and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. There is always something to learn if you keep your ears open. I also had a great chat with Tom Larimer. Awesome guy with lots of info to share. I shared some stories and info with some experienced guides and it is always helpful to get some different perspectives. If you go expecting to learn something, you will probably find it. If you are already completely awesome, you should stay home and keep looking in the mirror.

• Like 3

I thought it was a very good show, and well organized. There was some empty space though.what would be the opinion, of having a doz. or so tables dedicated to a trading section, for people trying to move, used, rods, reels and gear.might peak a bit of interest, as well as take up the empty space.

• Like 1

Good idea Spurly.just had to go back there my wife accidently one a silent auction item lol the wadeing jacket lol I was looking at them at the fish tales store at the front but they didn't have my size so i said forget it but she seen the one at the silent auction table and put a bid down then I got a call today to come pick it up lol size large it's a little small but will work maybe.not overly excited about it but I own it for now.its a eddy Bauer if anybody's wondering.

Well guys, I truly enjoyed the entire weekend. My initial thoughts were that I would sit in on a few of the seminars. It turned out that we got so busy helping kids and adults alike to tie some flies that I lost track of time. I tell you, that Lornce is an absolute wizard at the vice. The time just flew by. A guesstimate of wooly buggers tied is somewhere north of 300. Lots of really talented kids coming up.

One thing I really enjoy is meeting some of the forum members and having a chat.

My sincere thanks to all of the forum members that donated some time to help us out. You guys really came through. All of the material was donated as well as the tying equipment. Thanks to all involved.

Murray

• Like 9

I didnt go this year, 1st time. To be honest, the fly fishing community here is very small. I've pissed some people off along the way. The last 3 years Ive gone, I swear Ive caught attitude from some of the local guys that think they know me lol so I'm done. Fishtales has everything I need and its just down the road and it doesnt cost anything to get in :)

Murray, thanks again for tying with my son last year, it would've been the only reason we came this year.

BF

• Like 1

I had a great time at the show, always do.

Took the workshops with Tom Rosenbauer, (Xmas presents from family) sat in on many of the free seminars as well. And there were many offered.

It was great to have all the Bow River guides in one place as well, I got a chance to visit and talk about the river with Dee, Terry, Josh and Paula. Getting their thoughts and take on how the Bow evolved last season was awesome.

Watching pro fly casters in action such as Gary Borger, plus Lynda and Jim, was inspiring. Lynda carrying all that line in the air perfectly with her relaxed casting syle had quite a few people stop and take notice. Her casting really was a pleasure to watch. Plus, if you have a question about how she does it, just walk up and talk to her. Chances are she will just put her rod in your hand and share all she knows. Gary and Jim were also very approachable to anyone who wanted to discuss casting, or anything really.

It was good to see most of the local shops have booths to support the show. It's a pile of work and expense to set one up and staff it for the weekend. There were deals to be found, if one chose to look and dig a bit. Courtney came from Vancouver Island once again as well to set up his large shop display. Nice to see all the Mystic stuff in one row.

All in all, a great way to spend the weekend, and I can't imagine the doldrums of January without it. Was up to midnight last night tying, going over my notes, and fussing over gear, and thinking about the coming season.

I do wish I could buy a 3 day pass to cover the weekend The show used to be open later on Friday night, I wish it still was, I used to always go after work with friends.Took the Friday off work this year to attend Tom's workshops so it was all good.

• Like 2

Well, for an Edmontonian like me, I look forward to the show every year. This year was no different, and I make it an entire weekend! The reason Murray didn't have time to go to many seminars is cause he let me go instead, lol (I promise to do more next Murray, promise!). It was great meeting people like RedBeard and Andy and renewing acquaintances like SilverDoc.

We have no "real" flyshops here in Edmonton, so the show is a real treat for me. Sure, the same retailers and booths crop up, but that's fine by me. Got some smokin' deals on a rod (yay bonefish!) and wading boots, and ReelFlies had smokin' deals on flies as usual. I don't think there is any way I could have got the quantity of flies I did for my upcoming saltwater trip without their terrific pricing.

So I thoroughly enjoyed myself, as usual. My only standing minor biffy beef is the price of the workshops; but that's because I am spoiled being from Edmonton; those guys at NFLT/TU know how to run a hell of a weekend seminar (next weekend! come on up) which gives you 2 days of seminar / mentorship for the price of one 2 hour workshop at the Expo. But that's the way it's been for years, so c'est la vie.

Really enjoyed Tom R and Gary B; they both reminded me about the fun of the sport, and I have to say Gary in particular really stoked the fires of just challenging yourself - just for the sake of challenging yourself - to become a better caster. I'm thankful he spent 5 minutes with me to help me learn the puddle-mend cast. I'm really keen to become a better caster (especially if I am going to the salt). His knowledge of everything flyfishing - history, techniques, skills, etc, seems almost unparalleled, he's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know.

And that's the best part - the people: here at FFC -thanks again Murray - , Jim M., the Yellowdog crew in Montana, all the flyshops are eager - eager I tell you - to help you out. So besides the presentations and workshops, I got A LOT of intel on where to go, and places to fish. And it's great just talking to people. It's a great community. And I'm thankful!

Cheers,
Smitty

• Like 3

Quick note to say great to meet Murray, Lornce and Smitty and the FFC booth. Thanks to Murray for the private tying lesson for someone new to the sport and tying! I'm still practicing my bare hook whip finishing......

I enjoyed the show and also found great deals on flies, fishing shirts, buffs but missed out of the wading boot deals (by Sunday the sizing was well picked over)

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this show.

If you don't like to talk to people and you are just there to LOOK your probably going to be happiest when you leave.

However if you took the opportunity to talk to some of the best fisher people in the industry and pick their brain, if you took advantage of the fact the you had hundreds of rods to cast and find the one that fit you, If you took the time to attend seminars then you probably felt like the show is an incredible opportunity and you were sad to see it wrap up.

Im a big fan of the show. I think if you go for knowledge and to build relationships its a huge win. When i started out fly fishing i would spend the whole weekend at the seminars it took my game to the next level and gave me the foundation i needed to get started.

I just cant figure out how someone can go there and not cast at least a dozen rods on the pond. That is by far my favorite part. Looking forward to next year.

• Like 8

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this show.

If you don't like to talk to people and you are just there to LOOK your probably going to be happiest when you leave.

However if you took the opportunity to talk to some of the best fisher people in the industry and pick their brain, if you took advantage of the fact the you had hundreds of rods to cast and find the one that fit you, If you took the time to attend seminars then you probably felt like the show is an incredible opportunity and you were sad to see it wrap up.

Im a big fan of the show. I think if you go for knowledge and to build relationships its a huge win. When i started out fly fishing i would spend the whole weekend at the seminars it took my game to the next level and gave me the foundation i needed to get started.

I just cant figure out how someone can go there and not cast at least a dozen rods on the pond. That is by far my favorite part. Looking forward to next year.

*drops mic, walks off stage*

• Like 4