Fly Fusion Forums

Knive Sharpening Recommendations

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has or knows of someone that you could recommend for knive sharpening? I have some hand knives, kitchen knives, etc, i need to get sharpened from someone who knows what they are doing?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Not what you asked, but since others are throwing out recommendations, this kit is one of the best purchases I have made. Won't get them as sharp as a good service, but gets them really sharp (not scrape away the steel sharp) and does it consistantly and quickly. I've been through diamonds and steels and stones and lanskies, etc, and wish I had bought 10 of these in place of everything else (for knives anyway; I use the stones and plates for straight razors and flat tools).

http://www.amazon.ca/Work-Sharp-WSKTSC-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B005HV0EFS/ref=sr_1_1/178-0550022-9858751?ie=UTF8&qid=1452655240&sr=8-1&keywords=work+sharp+knife+sharpener

I've had good experience with Knifewear in Inglewood.

+1 Likewise, i have mine sharpened annually at Knifewear. Two Calgary locations (Inglewood and Calgary Farmers Market). They also donate portion of sharpening proceeds to local charities.

• Like 1

I like to cook and I do a lot. I found that my wife just kept on buying new knives when the old ones got dull So I went to Cabellas and bought a 300 series Chefs Choose electric knife sharpener a couple of months ago. It easy to use , works real well and there is not a dull knife in the house.

We have a few Grohmann knives that I keep forgetting to take to the factory in Nova Scotia when we travel back there. I typically use the bottom of a ceramic cup... probably time to look into a real sharpener. Thanks for the recommendations folks.

I have a Lansky that I use for really dull knives, or if I want to change the angle, to keep up sharpness I normally use a Rapala Ceramic Sharpener from Can Tire. Has a rough and smooth ceramic side, really cheap and works great. the one on the left has the two sides. You can carry it in your vest or hunting coat easily.

RAPALA-SHARPENER.gif

• Like 4

+1 Likewise, i have mine sharpened annually at Knifewear. Two Calgary locations (Inglewood and Calgary Farmers Market). They also donate portion of sharpening proceeds to local charities.

Another +1 for Knifewear. They are a little pricey, but they are the best that I have encountered.

I take it no one uses a Whetstone? Still haul out one of those my Arkansas every now and again (it's an oilstone). The Arkansas came with a nifty little device that you tighten onto the back side of your knfe spine and sits there keeping an angle as you use the stone. Have a few Whetstones (water) that Dad used, that still work great, Stones are about an inch by 3 or 4 inches. Very handy pocket-sized,

I sharpen my own equipment. The kitchen knives are sharpened about once a month. Takes 15 minutes or so. I found that sharpening using a 1000 grit gives the knife the "tooth" required to shear through meat/vegetables. My personal knives carried each day are also sharpened with the 1000 grit stone

I use a water stone like this one. http://www.amazon.ca/Suehiro-Japanese-Sided-Whetstone-Sharpener/dp/B00HF5P6LQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1453302959&sr=8-14&keywords=japanese+waterstones

The planes used for bamboo however are sharpened to shaving sharp using water stones.

For those using oil stones, use gel hand cleaner as a lubricant. Water wash the stones and let dry. I've got Arkansa stones that have been used for years that look brand new.

Regards,

Don

• Like 2

The hand cleaner I use now is Fast Orange without pumice. Just the gel. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT BUY THE CLEANER THAT HAS PUMICE IN IT!!!!!!

If you have used your stones with oil for years, the pores in the stones are filled with swarf and nearly solidified lubricant. Use Fast Orange to clean the stone. I got a black Arkansas at a farm auction that took nearly a whole weekend to clean. Mind the stone was 6" wide and 18" long.

A smear of Fast Orange on the stone prior to use works great on both oil and carbaradom stones.

If you want to hand sharpen your knives, I'd recommend water stones over oil types. I have 250, 1,000, 4,000 & 8,000 grit stones. The only one rarely used is the 8,000 grit.

And if any of you want the best damn kitchen knife ever, head to Lee Valley and buy a "Peasants" knife. See: http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52770&cat=2,40733,40738,52770

I have three, one @ home, one in the fishing trailer and one @ the acreage. They were $25.00 for the first one. The blade is real steel not stainless. Sorry, no bling but stays sharp which last I recall is the purpose of a knife.

Need more, give s shout.

Regards,

Don

• Like 1