Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Tire Recommendation

Got a new Chevy Colorado this past July. Would like to buy some winter tires. Anyone got recommendations of brand and model? How about places to buy (Costco vs a Kal Tire vs a Fountain Tire). Does anyone like studded tires. One friends sings their praises.

I'm located in Edmonton, if you're recommending a tire shop.

Thanks!

Mike

I've always loved Goodyear Wranglers. Always been good to me as an all season tire for rain or snow. Just put on a new set two weeks ago. Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll get other recommendations. I actually got my best deal through my Ford dealer after looking around a lot and dickering.

Not really a brand loyal guy when it comes to tire but for winter driving if u want traction studded is the only way to go. I will maybe use 4x4 a couple times a winter. The other 99% of the time u just need studs. Not to mention helps u to stop on ice.

I have a good friend who just put on a set of Cooper ATW's on his Tundra and he is in love with them...says they're considered a 4 season tire which is slightly less than a dedicated winter tire but more than an All-Season. In any case he's been singing their praises so far. HTH!

Hankook I-Pikes complete with six rows of studs. Amazing!

I've been running them for 3 years on a 4X4 Dakota in the land of fast changing weather, Crowsnest Pass (we can literally go through 25 degree temp swings between Lundbreck and the BC boarder with all the various road conditions that would give) and the only complaint I've ever had was they were too sticky and I couldn't drift the corners! They make great bush tires too as the tread is heavily stepped so they spit mud and snow like the devil.

• Like 1

I'm on my third winter running Nokian Rotiivas on my 4Runner. Excellent in snow, slush, and ice. Unfortunately they're not cheap and Kal Tire is the exclusive dealer for Nokians in Canada so you aren't likely to find any deals on them. I ran Duratracs for a couple years and they were good the first winter but not so much the second because the siping isn't very deep.

My wife is running Nokian Hakkapellitta dedicated winters on her van and we like em. We bought them through Kal Tire. Price was comparable to everywhere else.

On my jeep, I am also running Cooper AT/W as mentioned above. They are a hybrid tire (All-Terrain + snowflake symbol). I believe you can only buy these (AT/W) from Canadian Tire. They had a sale, buy 3, get 4th free like other tire shop promotions. I've had them on an entire year now, and I think they're o.k. My gas mileage has gone down a couple m/p/g though, perhaps due more from going from No-Seasons to All Terrain, but also because to get these tires, I had to get oversized from stock tires. They are quiet though.

My co-worker has the regular Cooper AT/3 and we both seem to think there is more side-to-side motion than other tires.

I have General Grabbers A/T2's (stud-able) on my Canyon that I leave on year round and they are great in the snow and decent on ice. I got them 25% off at CT.

Our Subaru has Blizzaks in the winter and they are great.

I have these on my 4runner too.. I love them in summer, not so awesome (IMO) in winter. Decent on snow, but poor stopping times on ice.

I have a set of Hankook I-pike on my personal vehicle and had a set of them studded on a work truck last year. I am very pleased with both options.

That being said the new TOYO winter options with walnut shells are interesting.

I've always loved Goodyear Wranglers. Always been good to me as an all season tire for rain or snow. Just put on a new set two weeks ago. Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll get other recommendations. I actually got my best deal through my Ford dealer after looking around a lot and dickering.

I had the Goodyear Armars on my 4 Runner and got 120, 000 km on the they were excellent in everything ice , rain , mud , back roads and highways.

i-Pikes on my truck and General Altimax Arctic on my wife's vehicle, and very happy with both. Neither are studded and both make a huge difference over running our all-seasons. Got hooked on snow tires when we lived in Nova Scotia, and don't think I will ever go without again. Got my tires stateside when our dollar wasn't crap, and had them delivered to Maine; paid about the same for them installed with rims as they would have cost with no rims in Canada. We have used Costco in the distant past, but found the last few times pricing stuff out that they're not really that much better than competitors. Otherwise, we deal with Fountain Tire lots these days, and have got great service and pricing from them.

My two personal favourites are Nokian Hakkapellitta and Blizzaks. After spending 20 years of winter highway/city driving from here to everywhere and more, I will say studded are more important than brand for performance on ice. The two tires I mentioned are best for additional snow and ice grip and for wear.

I hate hitting the ditch so I am sold on studded, but they don't mean you can drive like those folk on highway two in their bald tired mini-van/pontiac sunfire going 140 on black ice.

Shake my head.

Don't forget the sledders doing a buck 50 pulling 2 sleds and/or with sleds on their decks!!

My two personal favourites are Nokian Hakkapellitta and Blizzaks. After spending 20 years of winter highway/city driving from here to everywhere and more, I will say studded are more important than brand for performance on ice. The two tires I mentioned are best for additional snow and ice grip and for wear.

I hate hitting the ditch so I am sold on studded, but they don't mean you can drive like those folk on highway two in their bald tired mini-van/pontiac sunfire going 140 on black ice.

Shake my head.