Fly Fusion Forums

Flathead Valley Road

I believe folks have commented on this subject before but my memory fails me, as the remarks are from quite awhile ago. Kinda remember something like take at least 2 spare tires and be very aware that if you choose to travel in deep, that you will be in major grizzly country. I believe this road goes up Michel greek and hooks up with the Flathead Valley Road. I think it is the Corben road to begin with. I betcha if ya have the nerve and time ya might find some pretty nice cutyy and bullie water. Then I remembered, itz BC and god only knows what kind of licensing/cost cluster ---k a guy would have to go through to be legal. Any whoo, just daydreaming of cutty fishing. Would appreciate any comments from experienced crazies who have tried it.

Drove it a couple of times. The best way in is via the Morrissey Road as it puts you onto the Flathead closer to the US border and it's bigger water so the fish are bigger too. I have found that the fish in the upper reaches to be plentiful but mostly small. Both ways are long drives but the road from Corbin up and over the pass between the Flathead and Michel drainages is very rough, though I know someone that did it with a camper on their 4X4. Beautiful scenery and wild country yes people say there are lots of grizzlies but I never saw any, then again the signs were there. Maybe blasting loud music on the stereo as you rig up could be why they stayed away.

• Like 1

The Flathead has incredibly pure water and very few cutties. The Michel has a mine at its headwaters and is full of large, hook scarred cutties. Go figure! Apparently the really good cuthroat water is on the Montana side, in the Bob Marshall Wilderness and you need a horse to pack in a raft so that you can float it. Helis are not allowed in there. Bring a shotgun!

And the Flathead in BC is not classified waters, probably because the fishing is not that great... Worth a trip though, the views are great and some bulls do spawn there.

• Like 1