Fly Fusion Forums

Classified Waters

I got this link from the Flybc board, and it's a letter from the BC Federation of Fly Fishers giving an overview of the effects of the classified waters system after 25 years. If I am interpreting the information correctly, it looks like it has effectively done nothing to protect the resource or the angling rights of British Columbians. http://www.bcfff.bc.ca/index.php/documents/file/73-classified-waters-25-years-later

• Like 3

You mean the foxes (guides) watching the hen house isn't the best plan for protecting the resource??????

Years of inflating rod days, then selling them for big profit....and these are the guys looking out for the fish??? (I guess looking out for the wallet is more appropriate)

When "the few" benefit from a public resource, and then have the power to further restrict public access to the resource, there is a huge problem.

Perhaps ZERO guide days would decrease the excessive pressure on the great streams that comes from all the guiding/advertising/promoting/"inflating".

Zero guides wouldn't hurt my feelings at all

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

One of the problems with this discussion is the bias involved. If you're Albertan of course you're going to despise the Classified Waters, if you're from BC, you probably are all for it.

Bob Hooton is a great authority on steelhead and all rivers in which these fish roam. As for the southern BC area I don't think he's been here much.

Implementing the Classified Waters in the Kootenay region has led to reduced pressure. At the end of the day seeing fewer people out on the water is a good thing.