Fly Fusion Forums

Cuba

bloom

So looking at heading to Cuba in late March for a Holiday with some friends. Fly fishing is not the main purpose but I will have a couple days to hit the flats.

Any recommendations on where in Cuba to stay/go that:

1. Offers nice all inclusive accommodations (wife and friends will be coming)

2. Has close flats for bone fish, etc. (can be guided or do it yourself)

I've done the all inclusive trip (with no fishing) and the bonefishing trip (with rustic accommodations), now I'm just trying to put both together.

Any ideas in Cuba? Any ideas somewhere besides Cuba?

We went in March last year, as it was a family vacation with the chance to fish a couple days, we stayed at the Iberostar Mojito in Cayo Coco.($525 a week on Sunwing right now). Nice resort, great people and we had a great time (tough to leave). As far as the fishing goes March is a tough time as it can be very windy, I did a walk and wade on a large flat South of Cayo Ensenachos, very windy with a constant wind blowing over my casting shoulder, saw lots of bones had a few hook-ups but my bad shoulder really caused me a lot of grief. We were supposed to head out in a skiff the next day but it was way too windy. I'm sure there are areas where you can get out of the wind if you travel around. The guide we used said the best times are November and May. Lots of guys fish the flats just south of the Melia Cayo Coco so there is definitely some DIY opportunities as well you can hire a taxi for 10 CUC's to take you out to the flats, most of the hotels have someone they use for this.

I'm jealous, we were planning on heading down next month but life got in the way, hopefully in May of next year.

Colin

• Like 1