Fly Fusion Forums

Boatman Pattern

trailhead

Went out on the Bow Saturday and the fish were taking boatmen. I had one fly that was working which I lost on a snag. After that I tried all the boatman patterns I had with me to no avail. If anyone has a pattern that works on the Bow and is willing to share it I would be grateful. Thanks TH.

I floated the river last Wednesday and most of the boats said it was fishing slow...we had a fantastic day...here was my recipe

skud hook size 14 ( but tied like a 16) tie in greenish midge floss and hang off the bank until you wrap your dubbing. I use dark brown, dark green and a lite almost olive color. Wrap dubbing to the bead. Tie in your floss and only use one piece up the back for the casing. Now tie in the FLOSS legs as well. Tie them in sperate on either side of the bead but keep them longer than the hook....about 1/2 the length of the hook longer...whip finish and catch trout!

• Like 1

Size is very important. For years, I used 12s and 14s and never had any luck.. Only when I went to size 16, did I have any luck. I use a simple pattern with peacock dubbing and brown goose biots for legs. teal feather for shellback. So far I have caught only one fat rainbow on it, but i'll keep at it since the boatman are the only consistent bugs I have seen lately.

I recently tied a bunch of top-water ones using Phil Rowley's pattern from his database. Now to some subsurface ones... they have to be very simple ties, as I am a complete amateur at this stuff. I saw an old thread with a pattern from you Murray (might be the same one... pic isn't opening on my computer right now for whatever reason). Though I was reluctant to try it, as epoxy is involved and I'm quite sure I will glue some fingers together ;)

• Like 1