Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Get Started

tweaver

Hey Guys

Just looking for some advice on getting started tying flies.

I am fairly new to fly fishing but I am in absolute love with the sport and everything that comes with it. I am lookng to get started tying flies but need some advice on where to start.

What type of vice to buy? how much should I spend?

What are the must haves when it comes to tools? supplies? materials?

Maybe someone has some old stuff they are looking to move out for a low price?

Anything helps

Thanks guys

Cheers

I recently started myself. My short list of minimum tools is; vice, scissors, hackle pliers, hair stacker and bobbin. I actually have a few bobbins just to not have to change thread constantly. I don't use a whip finisher. I also squeeze barbs and sharpen as required to start the tying process.

Buy materials as you decide what patterns you want to tie. I followed other peoples' lead and use Mustad hooks. Some may poo-poo them but they do work fine.

I bought equipment as cheap as I could, only thing I can see upgrading is the vice but what I have will suffice for a few years. Don't go cheap on buying materials, I already have regrets about doing some of my shopping at C Tire, figuring I was just getting started.

• Like 1

The Hook and Hackle club has a beginner tier's course starting up; it's free with membership, and you're welcome to come check out a night as a guest first, and don't need to bring anything as the club has a few setups to try out. You can also check out the different types of vises that members use.

Buy your third vise first; there's no point in figuring out what you really want after two purchases.

• Like 1

Most of the reputable Local fly shops have fly tying lessons that are a nice way to dip your toe in also along with the H & H club mentioned above. I have written a bit on my blog about starting fly tying if you're interested https://lornce.wordpress.com/is-fly-tying-for-you/. You can also post questions here. Lots of great tiers with honest opinions.

• Like 2