Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Hunting

RunnyD

Thought I'd share my bull hunting adventure, so here it goes.

Was out and about on Wednesday and came to one of my favourite pools where I know I'll land at least 3 good size cutties. First cutty was the biggest, around 16 inches. Had it close to the net when, out of nowhere comes a bull trout and tries to swallow the cutty head first. I muscled him in as not to stress him out. Same thing happened for the next 2 cutts. Same bull trout looking for a free hand out.

Now I've caught bulls on tiny dries and nymphs and thought I could do the same here as I didn't have my streamer box with me and I'll I had was a size 12 black woolly bugger. Spent the next 20 minutes trying to get the bully to bite. No dice. I took the following video of the pool and you can see there's at least 4 cutts and the bull trout at the back of the pool.

Came back today, with the proper arsenal. Larger rod (6wt), sink tip, with a white sex dungeon. Didn't care if I didn't catch anything else today. The bull was the sole mission. Started at the back of the pool and hucked the meat towards the log jam where I thought he'd be hanging out but nothing after a dozen casts. Worked my way up towards the head of the pool, no success. This pool is tricky as at head of the pool, two falls dump into it creating some crazy a$$ currents, so I decided to go back down to the tail of the pool and try to cast straight up hoping that the streamer would dive down head first into the pool. Next cast, BAM!!!

I thought he'd give me a better fight, but it was pretty easy landing him. Not the biggest bull, but still 21".

DSCN0316.jpg

Nothing in the above post makes me think anyone was targeting spawning fish. We still fish for rainbows and browns when they are spawning, we just don't target the spawning fish, I don't see how this is any different. Just because bull trout are spawning someplace does not mean this fish was. She sure wasn't acting like it.

I'd be a little more sympathetic towards it if it were any species other than Bulls. It has been very well document in this space about the struggle that species is currently facing and some of the sacrifices we may all need to take to ensure their longer term survival. There is a difference between what we CAN do and what we SHOULD do, and I think that is the point that some of the previous posters have tried to make. Ultimately it is a judgement call. It's a species that is in bad shape during a time of year that they are particularly vulnerable. I wouldn't go out to specifically target them at this time year, but that's me.

• Like 3

If you're suggesting that we shouldn't fish during spawning season and rainbows and cutts spawn in the spring and browns and bulls in the fall, maybe we should all quit fishing. What do you think?

Good trolling.

I'm suggesting you should be aware of the impacts you are inflecting when making choices on what fish to target.... most of the creeks and rivers are closed in the spring to protect rainbows and cutts, but you can limit your exposure to bulls and browns in the fall by not fishing streamers.

Ideally yes I would like to see waters closed in the fall that have spawning populations in them, there are countless other waters to get your kicks.

I'm not trolling you

I'm going to be that guy.

When are people going to stop targeting bulls when they are staging for spawning, catching bulls right now puts undue stress on these great fish and can cause them to for go spawning all together..... but hey you'll get a hero shot

Too easy. Posted few years ago (in September)

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1936588_170182430728_3837251_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3399290096339cb4d7223398e503669d&oe=565E7AC9

Pot, meet kettle.

I don't condone picking on bulls in September, but it doesn't mean I haven't done it in the past. Times change, and people learn.

• Like 2

Too easy. Posted few years ago (in September)

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1936588_170182430728_3837251_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3399290096339cb4d7223398e503669d&oe=565E7AC9

Pot, meet kettle.

I don't condone picking on bulls in September, but it doesn't mean I haven't done it in the past. Times change, and people learn.

you're completely correct, I have fished for bulls in Sept, I was taken to task for it and I am thankful that someone educated me on the problems I was causing.

• Like 2

I'm going to be that guy.

When are people going to stop targeting bulls when they are staging for spawning, catching bulls right now puts undue stress on these great fish and can cause them to for go spawning all together..... but hey you'll get a hero shot

you're completely correct, I have fished for bulls in Sept, I was taken to task for it and I am thankful that someone educated me on the problems I was causing.

There's a difference between educating someone and being condescending about it.

I would have thanked you if you're reply was more "educational", but it wasn't, hence my reply. Lessons learned for both of us.