Fly Fusion Forums

Replacing Felt Soles

RedBeard

The felt on my wading boots is worn almost down to nothing but the boots are still in great shape. Does anyone know where I could find a felt sole replacement kit in town? I saw them at fishin hole a while ago and didn't get them, now they don't have any of the kits anymore.

Thanks!

I also got mine at wholesale. I think they were around 20 bucks. Super easy to do and I will be able to get at least another couple years out of the boots. I would advise getting the biggest felts that they sell. I have size 11 boots, and the biggest they sold barely fit. Use the steps in the video here:

Years ago I purchased a replacement felt kit at Wholesale Sports in Calgary. I am not sure if they still carry them but you could give them a call.

I've not seen them in store here in Lethbridge, and can't find them on their website. Online, there seems to be lot's of options available stateside, but can't find any here. If anyone sources them, please let us know.

Was at Springbrook yesterday in SE Calgary (aka TFO headquarters) and they had felt "kits" to replace your felt soles.

Wow, hope their in-store prices are more reasonable than their online ones! Online they're more than double what you'd pay stateside; even with our crappy dollar that's a tough pill. I've also considered switching to Vibram soles from a place like Rocky Mountain Resole, which is looking like an even more viable option.

• 2 months later...

Update: I still can't find the kits. I've tried a few shops in Calgary and Wholesale no longer carries them. The felt sole kits at Springbrook are for small boots, maybe max size 8?

If anyone else has any leads on where to get a felt sole kit I would really appreciate it!

As a alternative to felt soles, use indoor/outdoor carpeting w/o the foam backing. You can get the products at better carpet stores. Install using regular Lepages contact cement. The carpet is about 1/4" thick and two layers work just fine.

A whole lot cheaper and wears well.

Of course it comes in multiple colours. Earth tones allow you to creep closer to those Browns.

Regards,

Don

• Like 3