Fly Fusion Forums

Glacial Streams

These streams are an enigma for me. I have not fished them much but truly don't know what to expect or where to start.

Anyone wish to offer a bit of insight? What kind of populations can these rivers sustain and what species should you expect? It would seem that bull trout would be comfortable, and I would also expect cutthroat? Whitefish?

TIA for any help.

Edit: The stream I was at on Sunday was 50*F (10*C).

I wasn't specific b/c I was hoping for generic type information. I've come across several streams over the years, and maybe I was just not putting in the proper effort, but the results have been dismal.

But to your question and what raised mine, I was at the upper Red Deer River, close to Ya Ha Tinda. I had no luck but, truth be told, I only fished for an hour or so. The spot I explored was somewhat non-descript with no deeper pools, fast water and low glacial visibility.

I find myself exploring further toward the mountains and that is what precipitated my question. I left the location out as I didn't want to sound like I wasn't willing to search on my own. That is the allure of the search, besides the "tug" being the "drug" :). Some generic info will serve no matter where I find myself in the future.

If you can check to see if there are any "natural barriers" that will obstruct passage, that may assist you in determining whether there are fish in that system. Also, if there is a lake/tarn that holds fish above that barrier or a larger stream or river below that's a good indicator, as well.

Have fun exploring!

lower down is better and 1st week of Sept a turning point as trout head further d.stream

Lower down isn't any issue, finding fish there is easy enough (or not :)). Are you suggesting that later in the year, the upper streams empty out?

Have fun exploring!

Always! Keeps me smilin'. It's been a very good year so far. I've had several 50+ fish-days this summer, and a few very good short days.

• 2 weeks later...

Good generic advice for these waters is approach and cast, every run, hole and pocket as if your dream trout is waiting there. I know every book says study and read the water but keep in mind the fish may be doing the same to you, make sure the 1st thing they see is only your fly, I fished alot of small mountain water this year and almost every fish was on the first cast. Birds of prey are plentiful here in this area, take that into account when sizing up that 1st cast as well, cover often trumps feeding lanes on small water.

Yeah, I've been busted several times and forget while sweeping my shadow over the water every once in a while. I have no doubt that a fish that you see swipe at your fly "once" also saw you.

The high clear streams don't seem to be a problem, it is the aqua-marine silt that throws me. I guess it's just an intimidation factor. Realistically, it should be about the same as muddy water? Is the visibility about the same for the fish?

Sadly, the season is winding down, but a few weeks yet. I don't winter fish with a fly rod. Hopefully we get a long warm fall, then snow on Oct 24th for elk season :).

Tks for the help everyone.