Fly Fusion Forums

Veg/fruit Garden

Haven't been fishing at all this year, didn't even buy a salmon license for the first time in 10 years. Been busy at work and putting the finishing touches of the cabin/ out of town work accommodations, which has also doubled as our primary resident for the last year and a half.

This has been my second year experimenting with a small garden. I started last year with a lean to green house made from a few pieces of 2x4 and a sheet of plastic and a half dozen/8 fish tubs and store bought soil. Which I managed to grow a couple summer squash plants in the GH (which isn't required) and a bit of Carrot, parsnip, beets, onions, broccoli, snap peas and string beans to varying degrees of success in open air. With the interest of the kids eating fresh carrots and peas straight from the garden................literally getting up from in front of the tv, and ploppin' back down with a bowl of sugar peas for a snack, I decide to go a little bigger this year.

Over the winter and early spring I cleared a small plot of land about 60x60 of trees/stumps/rock whiling trying not to disturb to much of the topsoil, easier said than done. But I managed to do this with chain saw, atv winch and bush grubber. This area has become my perianal fruit/ Veg garden, which was planted with cold hardy cherry and apple trees along with rasp, black and blue berries also planted a few roots of asparagus. Hopefully I'll see Berries next summer with cherries and apples following in year 3 and 4 respectfully, with asparagus by year 3.

Also built a small 6x8' green house with the help of my oldest, which contains Tomatoes, peppers, cucumber and a failed shot at cantaloupe.

Since most of the developed property is heavy filled with rock I decided to build raised beds for the veggies, nothing more than 2x6 that gave me beds of 30" x 8ft of varies heights,

With most of the grunt work complete I enlisted the help of the rest of the clan for the fun part of panting seeds and transplanting the starts. which consisted of the following:

Summer Squash

broccoli

Carrot

Roman lettuce due to failed sweet potatoes

Onions

Snap peas, broad beans, soy beans(which may not come)

Parsnip

Beets

Potatoes

Spring garlic

Also tried winter squash and pumpkins in fish tubs, hopefully the kids can carve they own come October. Then there is also the jalapeno eating contest that my almost 12 year son has challenged me too once they are ready..........oh the young and foolish...........chip off the ole block.

So who else has a small garden?

• Like 1

I built #2 - 10' x 10' greenhouses late last year. I was sick of having my garden destroyed every year by hail and other weather related adventures. It seems we only get about one out of every 4 years with decent outdoor growing without other weather factors. This is my first year but we had all the lettuce we could eat plus spinach, beans & radishes from the gutters you can see inside the greenhouse. Its a bit of learning curve this year. Carrots and squash are doing really well and we had massive dill production and continuous peppers. The tomatoes are taller than I am and we should have a lot for the great sauce Mrs Doc makes for over the winter.

IMG_0189_zpsxngozkjj.jpg

IMG_0399_zpsrcsa8cpd.jpg

IMG_0400_zps2k1arjpq.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsvbgvmijm.jpg

IMG_0541_zpsjkhofwxq.jpg

• Like 2

That's awesome SilverDr, I put in s small green house this year and I'm going to build a bigger hopefully next season. My kale got destroyed by caterpillars and my lettuce has died from something but my peppers, tomatoes, and cucumelons are all doing well.

What was the cost for your greenhouse.

Bigdirty it's not safe to show the contraband crops

That's awesome SilverDr, I put in s small green house this year and I'm going to build a bigger hopefully next season. My kale got destroyed by caterpillars and my lettuce has died from something but my peppers, tomatoes, and cucumelons are all doing well.

What was the cost for your greenhouse.

Bigdirty it's not safe to show the contraband crops

I figure it cost me about $500 for each one. 2 x 4's screws etc. The Polycarbonate was the most expensive item. Could have gone a lot cheaper with poly but I wanted something long term and its a nice place to store stuff for the winter till spring.

I built #2 - 10' x 10' greenhouses late last year. I was sick of having my garden destroyed every year by hail and other weather related adventures. It seems we only get about one out of every 4 years with decent outdoor growing without other weather factors. This is my first year but we had all the lettuce we could eat plus spinach, beans & radishes from the gutters you can see inside the greenhouse. Its a bit of learning curve this year. Carrots and squash are doing really well and we had massive dill production and continuous peppers. The tomatoes are taller than I am and we should have a lot for the great sauce Mrs Doc makes for over the winter.

IMG_0189_zpsxngozkjj.jpg

IMG_0399_zpsrcsa8cpd.jpg

IMG_0400_zps2k1arjpq.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsvbgvmijm.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsvbgvmijm.jpg

Wow that's quite the operation Doc.

All my life, I never thought of myself as a gardener, but a few years ago, I picked up a used Green House from a co-worker. We started slow with tomatoes and such with the intent of showing the Grand Daughters that veggies don't just come from Safeway. My wife did most of the gardening and my job was all the bull work.now that I have retired, I am finding myself doing pretty much all of the gardening.

Our setup includes a Green House, 8 ft. By 12 ft. ( no idea how many meters that is). Maxi cap planters, think of a big styrofoam cooler filled with water and fertilizer, and a bag of soil on top of that. The maxi caps allow us to go 4 to 6 weeks before the plants need watering. Each maxi cap accomodates 3 plants. We have the best crop of tomatoes we've ever had, long English cucumbers and even a small watermelon. I don't think the watermelon will grow to any size but we do have one softball size melon now. Spaghetti squash was also started in the green house but moved outside later on. Numerous hanging baskets of cherry tomatoes also.

I had that greenhouse so full of flowers at the start you couldn't even see individual plants, Canna Lilys, Dahalias Gladiolas as well as fuschias, nasturtiums, bell peppers.

This gardening thing has evolved into an activity that I really enjoy, particularly when everything starts to ripen up.

Lornce, I really like that idea of planting the rain gutters. Excellent idea.

I'm convinced that a greenhouse is really the way to go in this city. Especially where space is an issue. We've always had a garden and I grew up with gardens (and early years on the farm). It sure does pay for itself and the food is much high quality and tastier then you generally buy. We had some people over and they raved over the taste of the tomatoes.

Funny though we went back this year to starting most of our plants from seed and they where healthier and out grew the store bought. I wasn't crazy about the quality of the seeds though. I will be buying from some western Canadian seed sources over the winter for many more starter plants. Along with the greenhouse we also have 3 apple trees and a crab-apple. Some wonderful Rhubarb, and I'm working on a new Raspberry patch, need a few more plants though as we have only been in this house a couple of years and need to add to the patch. . Am also intent on finding some Saskatoon plants. Preferably wild to add to the mix.

No zukes this year , not really developing ?

Couldn't give em away fast enough last year.

Tons of corn , starting eating it a few weeks ago. First crack at it so happy it worked.

Elephant garlic, yum.

About 20 hills of a few kinds of spuds.

Yellow beans. Good sizzling with crushed almonds.

Tomatoes, carrots, onions, cucumbers, radishes, lots of herbs.

Peas of course, grapes too but not the best.

Went to raised beds years back and makes weeding, & keeping things under controll easier.

Started with triple mix, added peat, compost & sand over time.

Corn is in the ground.

Feel like a nerd playing in my garden but I like it.

Started the corn about end of April or so in greenhouse.

I have the standard outdoor garden, we have a big yard so my plants get 21 X 14 feet of space. I have six different types of tomatoes, two cherry varieties and the rest normal sized and have been harvesting them for a couple of weeks. I also have peas which are now finished and green beans which are almost done. Currently coming in well is chard, golden and candy stripe beets, cabbage, kohlrabi, two types of potatoes, carrots, green zucchini, crook neck and patty pan squash. Also have an apple tree my father cultivated and my wife pretty much eats all of the fruit it produces. The biggest problem I have is the hail, it did a number on the tomatoes and apples, would have more of both but a lot of the fruit got knocked off. I grow a lot of my plants from seed and there is a seed grower in Airdrie; Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes and he has a great selection to choose from. Calgary is a tough place to garden but a sunny south facing location really makes a difference.

• Like 1

Doc & Trailhead

How old are your apple trees? When did they start producing and what are the quality of apples?

I put in 3(2 of 1 and a odd for pollination) one year old whips this year with expectation that they will fruit in year 3 & 4 (as per supplier info). Also put in two (different type) semi dwarf trees that appears to be 3 yr old trees (from big box store) that both blossomed at the same time but didn't take.

Guest bigdirty

My dad has 2 apple trees In his back yard. Year old when planted. Took 3 years to produce apples. Now some years, if they both pop, we have way too many apples.

Doc & Trailhead

How old are your apple trees? When did they start producing and what are the quality of apples?

I put in 3(2 of 1 and a odd for pollination) one year old whips this year with expectation that they will fruit in year 3 & 4 (as per supplier info). Also put in two (different type) semi dwarf trees that appears to be 3 yr old trees (from big box store) that both blossomed at the same time but didn't take.

My apple trees are about 4 years old. I say about as they where put in by the original owner of the house. We have Alberta Reds, Battlefords and early gold pears.

DSC_0120_zps67a83332.jpg

We enjoy our little area in Southern Alberta. We raise our seedlings in old tims cups in a south facing sunroom then plant out on May long.

We focus on a small area in the yard (maybe 20 foot by 40 foot) and use lots of trellis/ small beds. This year we have harvested around 50-60 pounds of tomatoes so far, think we will break 200lbs more off of the 10 plants. Also did well on blackberries and haskaps, but saskatoons and raspberries were a bust this year. Its looking like we will get around 100 pounds of winter squash (butternut and spaghetti) from 4 bushes as well as a few zucchini. We also try and do it for cheap, this year I have used about 2 m3 city water (rain for rest) and $3 worth of fertilizer (rely on free organics from yard/house mostly). Pretty good hobby and lots of fun, I really enjoy the minimalist approach to it and hope to expand my "irrigation" system next year with a few more free barrels. The goal of spending very little on it appeals to me. Yields are a bit lower this year (hail) but the canner/ cellar will still be full.

We will be harvesting pears for the first time here very soon as well, great big Flemish beauty's. Hoping they taste as good as they look. Oh, and sour cherries. 80 lbs pitted in the freezer ready for pie filling. Nice little front yard trees that yield big.

Appreciate the other photos/ reports. Looks great everyone.

I know its a lot colder (and hotter) out your way............but has anyone tried late season gardens...................use of GH, tunnel covers, cold frames for cold hardy plants.

Just recently planted another bit (probably a bit to late) of carrot and broccoli in fish pans (18"x30"x 15" deep containers) that I will move into my green house after the tomatoes, cucs and peppers are done.

Figured it worth a try.

I tries tunnels this year. Gives a good head start if you so t have the green house. I'll probably try to extend tomatoes in them this fall. Greens are done and too late to start more, but tunnels would be good for a late summer crop (shade, then later plastic).

Any tips for getting tomatoes off earlier? The poundage of green fruit I have composted far exceeds the ripe. I always have big healthy plants, but fruiting is too late.

Also, anyone doing haskups/honey berries? I'd like to try some before I plant. The amount of fruit my household goes through is absurd. Some berries would help (strawberries on pallet beds next year).