Fly Fusion Forums

Tips On Getting Big Foams To Float Right Side Up

clancy

I have been enjoying some big foam Stone with a dropper fishing. As hopper time is approaching, I would appreciate some advise. Are their any techniques to get the big foam to float right side up? Are their particular patterns that work better than others? I have tried floatant on the whole fly, just the top, just the bottom, and none at all. Seems to work better when a heavier dropper is on.

Giving the line a quick twitch works most of the time, but it does create some disturbance and likely spooks fish.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I was having the same issue with a skid bitch a few weeks ago which had a foam head extending over the eye,so I stabbed a hole in the head for the tippet to pass thru and fixed it.

If the pattern doesn't have an extended head,maybe try a half hitch behing the eye in such a way that the tippet leads upward,kind of a variation on the rifflin' hitch used by salmon/steelheaders....worth a try?

• Like 1

I think he means a loop like a non-slip mono loop or Rapala knot. I've always found that if your hopper lands upside down a quick line mend will usually put it right.

Yes, the non-slip loop is what I use, also if the hopper does land USD a quick twitch can make it right itself,