Fly Fusion Forums

Opinions On Wading Boots Please.

Spurly

I currently have a set of Adams built boots, they have lasted 2 years, but I let a seam, on one of them.

I am wanting to upgrade, and have narrowed it down to Korkers, or Simms, I will probably buy the ones that fit best, but are there any other attributes I should know about either of these boots, or possibly another comparable brand, that I have overlooked.

Thanx Spurly

I have had two pairs of Korkers and have nothing but great things to say about them. The only reason I bought a second pair is because like an idiot, I bought the wrong size the first time. Had the Redside (great boot for just over $100) and now have the Buckskin, which has more durable materials for only a few bucks more. Having the interchangeable soles is amazingly convenient. Case and point is a couple years ago, I was fishing a back country river in BC with some buddies and one of the soles started to peel off. Not sure why, but it just came unglued and was flopping around lol. We were quite a hike from the truck, but I managed easily enough with it flopping around. When we got back, two minutes later I popped on a different pair of soles and was able to keep fishing in comfort. Soles wear out, break down, or even come unglued. It happens. I would rather spend $40 for a new set of replacement soles because they wore out, than have to drop another $200 on a new pair of boots because getting them re-soled is so expensive that it would make more sense to replace the whole boot.

Don't get me wrong, I love Simms. Have a ton of their gear, Jacket, packs, shirts, accessories, I love the company, I just love the convenience of the soles.

Either way you go, you won't make the wrong decision.

Like Uber said, go with what fits you best. I just wanted to share my experience with my Korkers.

Will be doing a trip to Idaho this week, and have a look there.with the dollar the way it is, it may not be cheaper, but they will have a good selection, and I can try them on, to get proper sizing.here, I would probably have to mail order, unless I want to travel a couple hrs. To the city.

Depending on the kind of fishing that you do - check out the patagonia foot tractors - The traction in unbelievable on all kinds of surfaces - very comfortable fit too - but all depends on your own preferences of fit, comfort and type of fishing you will be doing. I also have korkers and they are good too - but nothing compares to the traction on the tractors.

When I was looking for a new pair of boots in the spring I picked one of the Foot Tractors up off the display and immediately crossed it off the list. They have to be the heaviest wading boots out there. I can only imagine how much heavier they'd be after absorbing water. It's unfortunate that Patagonia doesn't have a boot in between the Foot Tractor and Ultralight.

Tried on a pair of Korker buckskins today, nice boot, on sale for $99 U.S., so about $130 can.

Also tried on some Simms with the BOA set up, very nice setup, but boots did not fit my feet proper.

Going again today to find

Some Korkers with BOA setup, you can cinch up the boots pretty nice this way, and then be out of them in seconds.

I've been through two pairs of Korkers and am on my 3rd pair. First pair were Redsides and the seams started falling apart badly after about a year. Phoned Korkers and they offered to let me put a little extra money towards a higher end boot so I got the Whitehorses (i think thats what they are called). They were crap and I blew them out in 6 months so I phoned Korkers again. Now I have the top of the line "Devils Canyons" and they seem a lot more durable but I only have a couple months on them so far. I have my fingers crossed they will last at least a couple seasons or I won't buy Korkers again.

As for the soles on Korkers. I have alumatrax and they are great. The felts are good but don't last too long and the rubbers are a death trap. Anyway thats my experience with Korkers hope it helps. They do have pretty good customer service and stand behind the product.

Bought the Korker Buckskins, as they were on sale, then bumped into a set of the new Simms Riverteck, they fit much better than the G3 boots, and had the BOA, system.So I now have 2 sets, both seem like very nice boots, the Riverteck, is built a bit like a ski boot, so, has tons of support, for the river rock. Another nice feature is, it has small cutouts, near the shank area to empty out water, I hope it does not allow silt, and small stones in.might have to further up with a trip report on the boots.

On another note, found another sport shop called North 40 Outfitters, Awsome store, in Courdelane, as well as Sandpoint.

Better prices than Cabelas, as well as Black Sheep.In my Opinion Black Sheep, has gone down hill on Flyfishing gear.

Going to the new Northwest Outfitters Orvis store tomarrow, looks very promising.

I wore patagonia stickies(Riverwalkers) for years, unbelievably light and comfy... only trouble was I was going through a pair each of stickys and felts a year have worn Simms since and the new Vapors so far seem to be a good blend of light weight and so far durable .... hope they last as long as their heavier but bombproof predecessors Headwaters did

I looked at the vapours, nice boot, very light,just not sure about how low they were.they didn't seem to give the ankle support I was looking for.everybody looks for something different in a boot though.

I bought a pair of Vapors in the spring. Got them a bit smaller so I can wear them with socks for wet wading instead of with waders. So far I've been really happy with them as they're light enough to do a lot of walking on a hot day and protect my feet a lot more than sandals. Not sure if I'd wear them as my main wading boots with waders though. I like the toughness of my G3s better for that.

I have the Patagonia predecessor to the foot tractor and while they have amazing grip on snotty rocks, they are heavy and also didn't break in very well. I ended up with gnarly blisters in a few places at the end of my NZ trip this year. Hopefully they have improved this. Nothing bad to say about my korkers, haven't tried Simms yet.

My current boots are Simms G3's. I have used them for 2 seasons. These are the best boots that I have ever owned and I will buy the exact same thing if they ever wear out. I am very happy with these boots.

My previous boots were Korkers. They were okay but definitely not as good as the Simms G3's.

Nothing but good to say about Simms Freestones,into my 3rd season and they are like new aside from the Vibram lugs worn down....time to add cleats me thinks?On that note,I'd say Freestones are appropriately named....1st day ever in them was on Jumpingpound,crossing thigh deep fast water and the Vibram soles gave confidence and good grip when new.

As the "low end" Simms model,I'd say they are THE most popular boot on the river,seems every 3rd angler I meet on the water is wearing them?

Had a chance to try the Simms Rivertech 2, on the water tonight.they are a very light boot,I bought them with the felt soles so great traction, except on steep grass slopes.there is a lot of plastic in the boot, which makes them a bit stiff, but helps a lot in the weight dept. by not absorbing water. I was a bit concerned about the drain holes, drawing in sand and gravel, but no problem with that tonight, through about 2 km of river.i love the BOA system, easy on, and you can really cynch the boots up tight, super quick to get out of.So far I am very pleased with the boots, looking forward to a few more km. in them tomarrow.

If anyone is looking for a new pair of boots, give the Rivertech 2 a look, they may not suit everybody, but a very nice boot all in all.