Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone With Jet Boat Help

With the boat fully submerged I don't think pulling with a jet boat is possible.The amount of weight would b somewhere around 1500lbs?Not sure the bow eye would take the force?

If anyone has a portable winch let me or the OP know I can get the equipment there.

Or does anyone know the owner of the red roof house just downstream of police?

We had a come a long and a ton of rope on it yesterday, with the force of the water and amount of rope it would take hours just to get the rope tight with a come a long, we have a few irons in the fire right now but it's going to be a tough go no matter how we try.

With the boat fully submerged I don't think pulling with a jet boat is possible.The amount of weight would b somewhere around 1500lbs?Not sure the bow eye would take the force?

Yup, you're going to need to consider the weight of the boat plus the current acting on it plus whatever it's stuck on. I've done a lot of stuck vehicle recoveries including complex winching involving pulleys and multiple winches. This is not going to be an easy one and doing it wrong might cause the boat to break up. The path of least resistance will be downstream provided you can easily get it dislodged from whatever it's stuck on. Make sure that all the equipment you're using has a good working load limit. The most dangerous part of recoveries is when the recovery gear breaks and things suddenly become projectiles. A snapped rope that had a lot of load on it can kill you just as easily as a flying piece of metal.

Call the Calgary Fire Dept. and explain the situation, that your boat is creating a navigation hazard to other watercraft on the river and your concerns regarding a safe salvage operation. CFD Water Rescue unit are the experts and have the proper tools, experience and training for these type of situations and are always willing to help.

• Like 4

called foothills fd and the guy was kinda ajackass, I told them it is a navigating hazard and once that thing does become dislodged during the next rain that its basically a 2000 lb weight barreling down the river which is so faking dangerous but he said "we don't rescue crafts we only service people who need rescuing" I said ok thanks im trying to mitigate the problem before it gets to be a bigger problem. I said I don't really care the condition of the boat or how it comes out but it needs to come out to minimize the risk to the public downstream. I don't want to be held my fault if worst case scenario it barrels down and hits another boat or even worse a wader wading in waist high water or something.

the Strathmore FD said they would help if foothills wouldn't so I called Strathmore and they said they would come take a look at it before they commit.

talking with the hydro engineers at my work and water guys they came up with a plan of attack is to attach a tow cable to the boat again, get land owner permission right by the bank and bring a tow truck to attach to the tow line we attached to the boat and pull it that way. they said the most force on the tow line is when trying to dislodge. they said that once its dislodged and it pendulum swings to bank while dragging on the bottom that the line should be able to hold if it held for dislodging it

if anyone has the number to the red roof house owners please let us know

if worst comes to worst and we get access from landowner im bringing in a crane to lift it right outta the water

my god, this is a pretty big project

the boat is closer to the north bank, it is not at all reachable from the south bank, unless you have super long line.

new plan of attack much safer and more efficient, if the red roof house land owner gives us permission to use their land ( we wil lmake sure they know we will be responsible for any remediation of their land from damage caused) we plan to bring a crane in to reach out above the boat and lift the boat out of the water.

the crane has a reach of 85 feet and at maximum reach the maximum load it can hold is 5000 lbs, so more than enough.

way more safer to every one involved by using a crane. less chance to damage the boat further as well.

im trying to get a drone in hand so I can go fly the site shortly and create a 3d model from the data collected to take measurements and what not to assist crane guys and everyone who may be helping out today. will try to provide a large ortho of the area if I can get the ortho data emailed to office from site

will be posting pics once we do get some progress on it. for all you who are interested and have offered to help.

as a side note, fly fish Calgary is such an awesome community we have gotten so much help or offers of help from people. you guys are great. the Calgary fly fishing community is such a tightly knit group of people with people from various backgrounds and occupations. once we set the word out that the boat was lost within a couple hours it was spotted and they let us know right away. so grateful for everyone.

• Like 5

The guy in the red roofed house may not be sympathetic to your plight, he's had more than a few negative experiences with river users over the years. I've met him through work and he can be a bit of a gruff individual. Having said that, I've inquired about accessing the river from the north bank on his property. A resounding no to a crane, but he might maybe consider another option. Sorry that I can't be more help

Right on guys. I was there with a couple buds and as soon as I saw that life vest going downstream followed by some unidentified gear / debris I had a gut feeling there had been a boating mishap. I am so glad you all are safe and maybe a huge lesson to be learned from everyone else... be careful out there and if you got someone new on the oars the launch is probably not the spot to let them have a crack at it, show them the ropes yourself for a good while first... that Police area has always been so tricky and since the floods it's even worse now.

• Like 1