Fly Fusion Forums

Backroads Mapbooks Alternatives

So it seems that the Southern Alberta Backroads Mapbook has been out of stock for over a year now. A couple people have posted used ones for sale on Amazon asking $360+ for them. Anyone know of any (non-electronic) alternatives that are just as good, up to date, and reasonably priced ($20-$40)?

(posted this in fishing-related since it gets you to the fishing ;) )

Wow I though you were kidding, some dude is asking 999.10 for a couple of them, I also saw two for 67.00, but that guy also has a used one for 8000.00

damn I might have more than one edition...better check LOL

Yeah I saw that one too. There are a couple on Alibris going for $270USD as well. I know the fly shops I talked to said they haven't seen them in over a year, Chapters said they aren't available to order on their system, and the actual Backroads Mapbook site just lists it as out of stock. Not sure what the deal is since the Central Alberta and Kootenays ones I saw looked like they were fairly recent printings.

I called around to the downtown retailers earlier in the year, one place did say they had the 2nd editions.

It was either 'Map World Services' or 'Map Town'. Give them a call.

And yes a new version is supposed to be released, I first inquired in the early spring and they told me it would be ready in a few weeks. Its now mid July and still no release. I've called a number of times since and they keep pushing back the dates. Wish I had just bought the 2nd edition in early spring rather than wait for the new one.

I was at Maptown last Friday and they do not have the 2nd edition in stock yet. though the new edition will cover the blank areas between Southern AB and the Rockies edition, which will be nice.

I've been trying to find a solution for my SUV too BurningChrome.. Downloaded the Backroad Mapbooks app on my android and it's only $10.50 per year for the map, but the map is super klunky and doesn't work very well at all. You have to pay additional $$ to get more map features, which is also really stupid. I went with a gas station version from cccmaps.com called the Alberta Back Road Atlas.. It's alright, but not the Backroads Mapbook I really wanted

I hope the new release is better than the old one. It seems all the best fishing falls on the edges of each map, or worse the corners. I spent last weekend constantly flipping pages back and forth. Sometimes roads or creeks disappear between pages!

• Like 1

I was told from the folks at Maptown, this has been improved.

P

I hope the new release is better than the old one. It seems all the best fishing falls on the edges of each map, or worse the corners. I spent last weekend constantly flipping pages back and forth. Sometimes roads or creeks disappear between pages!

I use the crap outta this site! www.atlas.gc.ca/toporama/en/index.html you can get any topo map in any scale you want!

I have had an Delorme inreach SE for a few years. In addition to it being able to communicate anywhere, the mobile app is amazing and allows you to download areas of topo data that you define. Check it out

http://www.inreachcanada.com/inreach-se/

Craig

He said that he talked to the company and they told him that they weren't going to send it to print anytime and were going to focus on the digital version.

They spend $10 per paper copy and sell it for $26 that's a 62% gross margin or they spend $3 per digital copy and sell it for $150 that's 98% gross margin. They're going where the money is.

He said that he talked to the company and they told him that they weren't going to send it to print anytime and were going to focus on the digital version.

They spend $10 per paper copy and sell it for $26 that's a 62% gross margin or they spend $3 per digital copy and sell it for $150 that's 98% gross margin. They're going where the money is.

That might be the end of them. Just look at the bad reviews they get on Google Play then compare it to some of the other offline maps like Backcountry Navigator, Gaia GPS, etc. People who actually travel back roads know the value of having a paper map in addition to any kind of electronic one.

• 1 month later...