Fly Fusion Forums

Float Times Bow River

I did a search and couldn't find the drift float times on certain stretches so your personal experiences would be appreciated

Planning to do an overnight float from police to carsland.

can anyone please tell me how much time it takes to float from mckinnons to carsland?

thanks

Distance chart at 22X launch.

I find the float times posted here to be a bit optimistic....maybe with higher water,and not stopping to fish or eat along the way?

ie;in last cpl weeks,I've done Glenmore-22x on pontoon,6hrs with a cpl brief stops.

Glenmore-22x on guided drift...11hrs with several stops and lunch.

Police-Mac....11hrs with fishn stops and 1hr rain delay.

476E17C0-4F10-4A91-B117-A0CEC322087C_zps

Soooooo ...to answer hour Q,I've yet to float Mac-Carseland,but according to chart,it's 8-10hrs(?)......so probly take me 18-24hrs minimum,lol.....I like to stop ALOT! ;)

I'd say those times are pretty realistic if you're floating and not stopping, with minor slowing down with backrowing. Hell, the type of fishing from the boat will change the time dramatically. Dries against the bank is going to take a lot longer (if rowed correctly) than streamer fishing, and particularly nymphing down the middle (gag)

You can easily turn a 6 hour day into a 15 hour day if you're fishing hard and stopping a lot. When I used to guide, I'd almost always be rowing out in the dark from the buffalo jump or the 5k sign.I'd suggest that mac to cars would take a little longer than police to mac, even with essentially the same kms. Lot slower water, and if you have an upstream wind you can be blown back upriver.

Also, if you have your truck down at Carseland for 2 days, be prepped for a phone call from the cops. Better yet, when I did it, my car was registered at my folks house, so my mom got a call from the cops asking if they knew where I was, and were concerned about us. Luckily I had signal! Mel will store your truck at his place overnight if you ask and pay a little more (or used to)

Brent you made me spit water out my nose....thanks. Big fry make sure you get Mel to take your vehicle home you don't want to leave it at a launch over night..... There are no fish below mackinnons but if you do try it out take streamers and dry flies.

but dont nymph (gag)