Fly Fusion Forums

What Length In A 4Wt Rod To Get?

Fishslayer74

So here's my dilemma. I have right now a 5WT that I use on most rivers around Alberta and in the Fernie area for fishing dry flys. However recent outtings to some of these rivers I've been finding my 5WT a little big for them. Rivers/Streams that I'm talking about would be like the South and West Castle, Livingston, Highwood, Michelle down near Sparwood, the Wigwam, upper Oldman etc. So I'm planning on picking up a 4WT but I'm not sure what length to buy in that. The rod I'm getting is the St. Croix Imperial and I was leaning more towards the 7'6" length. Does anyone have any insight or recommendations if this length of 4WT would be good to go with or would a 8' be better. Keep in mind that this rod would only be used for dry fly fishing only.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I have 2 Accels, 1 590 & 1 486. Two completly different animals, bought for the same type of fishing you are talking & unfortunately I bought the 5 first. I also have a 5wt, 7'9 rod that just isnt quite long enough in most situations so I would get the 4 wt, 8'6.

Awesome and thank you all so much for the information. So I just called and cancelled the 7'6" and split the difference from what you all have mentioned and went with the 8' rod. This way I can also use it back in Nova Scotia for brookies when I go home to visit.

And yeah, I didn't want to go with a 3wt as that is a little to small in my opinion for the river/streams that I mentioned. I don't think I'd want to get a common 19" to 20" cuttie on that rod. I know you could probably get it in but that's too much on the fish.

Cheers and thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

For small steams like the JP, Racehorse, Dutch probably a 7'6 3 wt will work just fine (though I primarily use a 7' 2 wt). My 7'6 3 wt I use for the Liv sized streams and OM (though I have an 8' 3 wt for the Gap area and a 5 wt as back up for when it's windy). Others may agree or disagree, and that's ok. I should note that my small stream rods are either medium action of med/fast.

Good luck

Peter

Thanks Peter. Hopefully this 4WT 8' imperial will do the trick. Like I said I also have my 5WT 9' that I will carry with me as well. So I was out on the West Castle a week ago or so and was using my 5WT and really felt the need for a smaller rod. On the bow or elk or rivers like that I will still use my 5WT.

I've a 7'6" 3wt Diamondback I bought years ago specially for Liv and similar water. It'll cast the entire line if needed and has landed two 20+ RB's out of the upper Highwood with no issues.

If your gong to downsize one line weight is not THAT much different. Personally I've got that special 3, a 4 I never use, a load of 6's and a couple of 8's for big water and dredging with a full sink.

If you main rod is a 5, I'd be looking at 3's and 7's to expand the fleet. Two line weights apart.

Don

• Like 1

I've found shorter rods to be more of a disadvantage than advantage in most scenarios,including chasing brookies on tiny,brush choked streams.

The only real slight advantage IMHO is when bushwacking and weaving thru thick bush.For actual fishing applications,a longer rod is better IMO for reaching,mending,dapping/high sticking,casting distance,roll casting,and on and on....

Plenty of small (tiny)stream scenarios I find myself with not much more than the leader and a rod's length of flyline beyond the tip,rarely casting at all other then maybe a roll cast.I've just found in my experiences that an 8'6-9' rod is more enjoyable to fish in just about every situation imaginable vs. a 7 footer on tiny creeks,highsticking and reaching to pockets etc,or reaching out from the bank to execute a sidearm cast up/down stream...then when you shift to a bit larger flow,say the Liv,upper OM etc....it's superior for mending,roll casting etc.....and then on even bigger,mid size streams and lakes,ie;lower OM,Highwood size rivers,it's better again....better distance,mending at distance,pick up more line with less effort/less stripping.

I honestly can't think of any reason why I would ever buy another rod <8' long at minimum,and prefer 9' all around for most apps.

• Like 3

Actually I love a 6 foot rod for small water. Casts nice with less trouble with overhead bush. Less problems walking through the bush for this old dude. Plus a lighter rod in hand for a long day. I've never experienced any problems with roll casting at all. As a matter a fact I find I get smaller much tighter loops on the roll. Mind you the difference might be my 6 footers are Bamboo and Fiberglass giving me a bit slower cast. I could see a 6 foot fast Graphite harder to cast as it would be like a Tomato stake in hand. For graphite certainly stay in the 7 foot pocket, or at least one with slower action. I only like a faster rod in big waters. There are a lot of variables besides rod length to think about, your fly line can also change the action of your combo.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't fish the main portion of the elk river but yes I did notice how busy it was with boats just lined up at the fly shops every morning. My favorite area to fish by far and worth $20 bones a day in my opinion. 4 days of fishing and never saw another person and that's the way I like it.

Cheers.

Hi fishslayer

I was down for 3 days too.

What part of N.S. You from? I am from Cape Breton.

I have two 3 weights and a 4 for that area.

The days I floated the Elk in pontoon I preferred my 8 foot 6. Four weight for wind gusts.

On wigwam for cuts my preference is the 3 in 8.6. The 3 is fine for the waters you fish but 4 is fine too.

I have two little guys aged 9 and 11 so hence having 3 rods in those 3-4 weights.

Actually I love a 6 foot rod for small water. Casts nice with less trouble with overhead bush. Less problems walking through the bush for this old dude. Plus a lighter rod in hand for a long day. I've never experienced any problems with roll casting at all. As a matter a fact I find I get smaller much tighter loops on the roll. Mind you the difference might be my 6 footers are Bamboo and Fiberglass giving me a bit slower cast. I could see a 6 foot fast Graphite harder to cast as it would be like a Tomato stake in hand. For graphite certainly stay in the 7 foot pocket, or at least one with slower action. I only like a faster rod in big waters. There are a lot of variables besides rod length to think about, your fly line can also change the action of your combo.

A softer rod also loads much better at short casting distances like you'd be using on small streams. I was casting a 7'6" Accel (med-fast) and 7'9" Circa (slow) both in 3wt side by side the other day. Found that both could cast 30' plus no problem with the Accel doing a bit better punching through the wind, but when it came to shorter casts around 10' to 20' the Circa loaded no problem and laid the line down gently while the Accel would smack the line down in a pile.

• Like 1