Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Temperature Advisory - Southern Alberta

http://esrd.alberta.ca/news/ongoing-situations.aspx

Fish Temperature Advisory - Southern Alberta July 11, 2015

To support our objectives of maintaining sustainable fisheries and managing risk to fish, anglers are asked to consider the following angling practices to minimizemortality resulting from catch and release fishing in rivers and streams in Southern Alberta:

This advisory will remain in effect until water temperatures drop to levels presenting lower risk to fish populations, at which time this advisory will be rescinded. However, anglers are encouraged to employ safe fish handling procedures at all times when practicing catch and release angling on Alberta waterbodies.

If high water temperatures persist and worsen, Alberta Environment and Parks may take additional measures including, but not limited to, angling restrictions to ensure protection of the resource during periods of high stress on the fis

• Like 2

I like how the AB Government just slowly creeps towards doing something, rather then just stepping up and making closures. There are lots of rivers that should not be fished right now, and simply asking the public to 'be nice' is not going to cut it. Look at the recent poaching activity that was caught on the Oldman, and that's legislated C&R...

• Like 2

The thing that bothers me is that was posted four days ago and on a forum full of fly fishers someone has only just spotted it. I follow most of the local fly shops, Alberta Parks, SRD, etc. on Facebook and never saw this show up in my feed. If it took this long for people who are really passionate about fishing to find out then how is anyone else ever going to know? Thanks for posting this Lornce.

• Like 1

Depends where you go too.. I fished a river last weekend that had 9°C water temps.. worked my way up to a small trib running into this main stream that had 16°C water temps. Headed back to the main river and stayed there.

Just always carry an anglers thermometer, never know what temps you'll find!

• Like 1

The thing that bothers me is that was posted four days ago and on a forum full of fly fishers someone has only just spotted it. I follow most of the local fly shops, Alberta Parks, SRD, etc. on Facebook and never saw this show up in my feed. If it took this long for people who are really passionate about fishing to find out then how is anyone else ever going to know? Thanks for posting this Lornce.

BurningChrome:

I have an alternate point of view, but undoubtedly could be interpreted as elitist. No one needed to get on the ball with this forum, because, frankly, many here were already well aware of the issue and are responsible about their angling choices.

I posted the advisory in a couple of places a couple of days ago, I really felt no need to do so here. FFC was one of the first forums that ever exposed me to this issue almost 10 years ago when I joined. A lot of the guys here are pretty much on top of the ball. But, I s'pose, it just never hurts to post anyways, so your point is well taken.

Smitty

• Like 1

Id also say stop at lower temps on the mountain streams. Cutties and bulls are a lot less tolerant to warm water than browns and rainbows.

I'd say don't fish above 68 to be safe.

I'd say even lower for bulls/ cutties. Bull trout will actively avoid 17 Celsius (I think that's around 62 F), they are significantly less tolerant that other salmonids.

Thanks....now to find my thermometer!!!

No need for one, just wade wet and gauge water temp by the reaction of your junk. Wee willie and "where'd my balls go?", stream is plenty cold enough. A testicle hangin' down each pant leg, better quit fishin'.

How she fishing up there?

• Like 2