Fly Fusion Forums

What Doesn't Belong?

Tibore

I think more signage and blockades around certain open areas adjacent to rivers is a start but not a sure fix.

I always like the classic excuse of " I didn't know" but that doesn't pass with me.

I wonder why people think it's OK to take motor vehicles down a flowing river and think it's legal??? Rational thinking would lead you to a simple google search of the laws but sadly here we are..... However, am glad to have been there to catch this infraction in progress and document it for Fish&Game.

One of the sad truths to people doing this is that they generally believe they are doing good by cleaning off their toys so when they're driving on pavement there isn't rocks and mud flying off hitting bikers or peoples vehicles. Stupid logic I know. Just repeating what was said to me by people that do this.

Looks like a stock Wrangler. Probably someone who saw the Jeep ads where they drive it through rivers, bought one, and decided to test it without having a clue.

I mean, look at this ad for the Grand Cherokee which is a mall crawler SUV and not even something people take off road:

Only ones to blame are the previous provincial governments. They refused to allocate the necessary funds for enforcement and thwarted all efforts to establish new enforcement partnerships with the community, such as the StreamWatch program, which a few dedicated conservationist put so much of their time, money and energy in too. Disgraceful.

The only community enforcement partnership program that has had modest success, is the RAP program, which unfortunately, most often results in the offenders being long gone before F&W shows up. That said, our F&W Officers, Fisheries Biologists and Techs and dedicated Conservationists/Associations are the heroes.

These folks really do give a dam.

It's all about education, and the best educator is a big fine.

So to update all. Talked to the CO tonight. These people will be looking at a mandatory court appearance before a judge. Just off the top of the officer's head, they could be looking at a $3000 dollar fine (minimum) and that's if there's no damage to the river bed and etc.... So yeah, hitting someone in their pocketbook is the best lesson.....
  • Like 2

"could be"!!

So in other words, not a $3000 fine, more like $200 - $500 fine.

Probably their first offence of this nature so most likely left to the judge's discretion. A slap on the wrist when a swift kick to the nuts is in order!