Fly Fusion Forums

Maui Jim Ht(Green)Lens

Anybody using these?How do you like them?

I've always been partial to amber lenses vs. smoke for all around use,just thinking about giving the MJ green lens a try,but a bit leary to spend that kind of $$ on a lens that I might not like?

I'm assuming (or giving the benefit of doubt?) that any lens by MJ is of proven high quality,and well suited to purpose(obviously fishing)......I guess I'm more interested if anybody here has a side by side comparison/review of amber vs. green in a variety of conditions?

I have these sunglasses.

I also have a pair of Amber polarized Oakleys. If I were to choose a single set of sunglasses, I would go with the Amber Oakleys. The MJ green lenses performs well in lower light conditions, but does not have the contrast of the amber in bright conditions.

They are worth the money if you like having choices.

• Like 1

I have these sunglasses.

I also have a pair of Amber polarized Oakleys. If I were to choose a single set of sunglasses, I would go with the Amber Oakleys. The MJ green lenses performs well in lower light conditions, but does not have the contrast of the amber in bright conditions.

They are worth the money if you like having choices.

Thanks scel....I've actually done ALOT more reading of reviews since previous post,and they tend to concur with your experience.Amber may be best for "all around" use,smoke best for bright conditions,and these HT greens seem to be highly praised for low light/overcast conditions?

Considering that my favorite and most successful outings are generally either overcast or the low light of dawn and dusk when I find amber lenses to be too dark,I think I've found the perfect excuse to justify getting a pair of MJ HTs?

......plus I think the green lenses just plain look cool,haha. :D

• Like 2

I have the Smith Low Light Ingnitors as well as their Amber polarchromic lenses (which have been my go-to lenses for years) and I have to say that I now fish the low light lenses probably 50-75% of the time. It seems that I rarely prefer the darker lenses anymore (even though they're great) because even on a bright day, the low light lenses help you see into shadows, undercuts, etc. Plus, the low light lenses are indispensable on cloudy or rainy days. I've heard similar feedback on the Maui Jims but I love my smiths so much I wouldn't stray...

• Like 1

Also a fan of the Smith rose colored ignitor. Polarchromic I wear them in all conditions.

Yeah, Mike Day turned me onto the Smiths and I picked up a pair of the Chromapop polarchromic ignitors last summer. I had better success spotting fish and tracking small dry flies on the water than with my old Oakleys. I still wear Oakleys for driving and casual, but I don't see anything replacing my Smiths for fishing any time soon.

Side by side comparison to Smith LLI to MJ HT. There is a review on the internet by an Alberta angler who did exactly that. I used to love my MJ HT but once given a pr of Smith LLI to try out I haven't used my MJs in 4 fishing seasons. The amber/green lens color thing is overblown in practical, on the water applications. The amount of light, glare cutting, sharpness of detail, contrast, etc are all far more important. There isn't one person I've passed the Smiths onto that hasn't called them a game changer in sight-fishing. Every person I fish with in NZ now wears the Smiths. Cheers

• Like 1

Anybody using these?How do you like them?

I've always been partial to amber lenses vs. smoke for all around use,just thinking about giving the MJ green lens a try,but a bit leary to spend that kind of $$ on a lens that I might not like?

I'm assuming (or giving the benefit of doubt?) that any lens by MJ is of proven high quality,and well suited to purpose(obviously fishing)......I guess I'm more interested if anybody here has a side by side comparison/review of amber vs. green in a variety of conditions?

Hi Vagabond

I have a pair of MJ Lighthouse HT glasses you can borrow for a week or two and test em out in actual fishing conditions.

They're not bad, but I hardly use them as I wear prescription glasses, and the fitovers are more convenient.

To be fair, I think the brown copper is better in 80% of conditions as the contrast is much higher.

send me a pm if you want to borrow them

cheers

Sean

Own both also and the MJ are nice but after fishing the crow this past weekend with them I prefer my Oakley flak with the amber all hour lens. I have both shades but tough to beat the amber IMO.

paid 680 for the MJ only 2 months ago. if interested make me an offer and they are yours.

Hi Vagabond

I have a pair of MJ Lighthouse HT glasses you can borrow for a week or two and test em out in actual fishing conditions.

They're not bad, but I hardly use them as I wear prescription glasses, and the fitovers are more convenient.

To be fair, I think the brown copper is better in 80% of conditions as the contrast is much higher.

send me a pm if you want to borrow them

cheers

Sean

WOW!

Very kind offer,thanks!

Walker1....$680??!!!

WTF?? That must be typo,yes??

Found the detail below at allaboutvision.com

(Ah! but before reading want to remind all to think on skin cancer prevention???? Don't forget the SUNSCREEN and neck or balaclava sun blockers)

A: Typically, most sunwear lenses will be UV absorptive to some degree. If lenses are marked CR-39R plastic, about 88 percent of UV light is absorbed. If sunglasses contain polycarbonate lenses, UV absorption will be 100 percent. All better quality non-prescription polarized sunglasses sold through optical stores are 100 percent UV absorbing. For the very inexpensive polarized sunglass — thin, bent sheet polarized types provide UV absorption. Lenses that are polycarbonate are usually UV absorptive. However, many cheap sunglasses use a material called triacetate. This material absorbs only about 40 percent of the UV rays. Lenses may also be made of other acrylic materials, which will vary from partially to fully absorbent.
Q: What is the best color for prescription sunglass lenses? I was given red, and I do not think they are very protective. Plus, they change the color of things, and there are red spots in them. — J.N., Pennsylvania
A: Sunglass lens colors are really a personal preference. As you noticed, some change your perceptions of color, brightness and contrast, and some don't.The most important feature to look for in a sunglass lens is how much UV radiation it absorbs — you want 100 percent for maximum protection. It is also important to get lenses that are ground rather than punched, to minimize distortion. A color we call neutral density gray will darken the world but not change your color perceptions. The lens tint I prefer in my sunglasses is called G-15, which is a combination of gray and green. It is the original tint that Bausch + Lomb used in their Ray-Ban sunglasses for pilots. —

WOW!

Very kind offer,thanks!

Walker1....$680??!!!

WTF?? That must be typo,yes??

No have receipt if needed. The frames are 225 and lens choice was over 400 with the extra on scratch resistance *hit and all that.

You are welcome to try also and if interested we can come to an agreement. I will just use them for driving if not. Will make a deal to a fellow maritimer!!!

These are expensive. My 5 year oakleys were 440 with the second set of lenses.

Also have Smith years ago but were older technology and very heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of the green MJ's and a pair of the amber MJ's. The amber glasses are my goto lenses and I use them 80% of the time. The green I tend to throw on during very bright days where they seem to help with contrast a bit better.