Fly Fusion Forums

Backpacking In Glacier Np (Montana)

Has anyone done any backpacking trips in Glacier NP? My wife and I are interested in doing a 4 - 5 day trip in September and are looking for 1st hand beta. We are aware of the permit requirements for some of the trails and also of the limited shuttles after Labor Day. Looking for a good (possibly loop) trial that includes fishing.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

P.S. Of course the NPS website (in PDF format) is limited as the map and other info are split over 2 pages so it is very hard to navigate.

Never tented there before, but love the Going-to-the-Sun. If you haven't found their plowing pics yet, they're a hoot. Lots of trails were still closed in mid-July last year when we were there, but looks like maybe less snow this year, so hopefully will be a bit drier by the time you are heading out.

Did a trip into North Belly River last year. Decent lake fishing and fabulous hiking, with many multi day options, including a loop that ends at South end of Waterton Lake with boat ride back to townsite. Highly recommend this area.

That's the one of the ones we are looking at!

Did a trip into North Belly River last year. Decent lake fishing and fabulous hiking, with many multi day options, including a loop that ends at South end of Waterton Lake with boat ride back to townsite. Highly recommend this area.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the hike up to Sperry Glacier quite a few years ago. Up near the glacier there is a set of stairs carved out of stone wall and a rope attached to the side. Wind funnels real hard down those stairs and you pretty much need to hold onto the rope to keep from getting blown back down the stairs. I remember passing another couple on the trail that had rods with them. I asked how the fishing was and they said good. Not sure if they were fishing a stream or a lake up there though. I also remember stopping at either Sprague Creek or Snyder Creek and watching cutthroat in the pools close to where it empties into Lake McDonald. Beautiful park and well maintained from what I remember. I do remember asking at the park office how much a fishing license was and she looked at me like I was crazy. She kind of laughed and said you don't need a fishing license to fish in the park. I have no idea if she was right or not or if it is still that way. I never fished while I was there.