Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Float Times

It takes as long as you make it. Get out and fish the nice holes and gravel bars, and you day is longer. Take the time your schedule allows. You can easily make it a full day, or short. I prefer the full day, but if the wife is with me, it is usually a shorter day as she is tuckered out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also curious about float times as I'm looking to take a group of 14-15yr old scouts down the bow river in canoes. I was wondering about times that would be fun but still safe and amount of time expected between put in and take out. Times that I was hoping for was June 26th and 27th, but not sure how big runoff will be this year and if it would be safe at that time? We plan to camp one night too and thought we could put in at Glenmore and take out at Carseland. Any advice and estimation on float times would be much appreciated.

Theres a poster/sign at the 22X boat launch parking lot that gives the approximate times for the popular floats...Glenmore-22X-Police-Mckinnons-Caresland.

I "had it" saved to my previous phone pics,but lost that phone without backup.along with almost 1000 pics and 400 mostly irreplaceable contacts ....arrrrggggggg!!!

Anyhow,if you live nearby,have a look.Sorry,I can't spit out the times off the top of my head,but I'm sure most experienced floaters can.

Fwiw.....I would think late June would be pretty fast floating as well as potentially the most dangerous time of year for a bunch of inexperienced kids in canoes of all things....I'd reconsider your timing.

• Like 1

Theres a poster/sign at the 22X boat launch parking lot that gives the approximate times for the popular floats...Glenmore-22X-Police-Mckinnons-Caresland.

I "had it" saved to my previous phone pics,but lost that phone without backup.along with almost 1000 pics and 400 mostly irreplaceable contacts ....arrrrggggggg!!!

Anyhow,if you live nearby,have a look.Sorry,I can't spit out the times off the top of my head,but I'm sure most experienced floaters can.

Fwiw.....I would think late June would be pretty fast floating as well as potentially the most dangerous time of year for a bunch of inexperienced kids in canoes of all things....I'd reconsider your timing.

Thanks for the info Vagabond. I agree it is usually not the safest time but thought with the little snowfall, warmer temperatures and little rain we've received that runoff may be minimal and early this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also curious about float times as I'm looking to take a group of 14-15yr old scouts down the bow river in canoes. I was wondering about times that would be fun but still safe and amount of time expected between put in and take out. Times that I was hoping for was June 26th and 27th, but not sure how big runoff will be this year and if it would be safe at that time? We plan to camp one night too and thought we could put in at Glenmore and take out at Carseland. Any advice and estimation on float times would be much appreciated.

I can give you Mac to Legacy, 4 hrs; Legacy to Carseland 4 hrs. Not sure above Mac. That is actual float time, a bit faster with high water. Legacy to Jensen's is a bit shorter but the last stretch at Carseland is a virtual lake and slower. Paddling would shave a lot of time.

As for camping, no over night allowed at Mac, the island about 1k below Mac is all rock, but the north shore would be good, although owned, and not an island, so actually trespassing. Who would kick out a bunch of boy scouts, other than maybe a cow or two :). Same rock on the island at Bow North Lodge. The island just above Legacy should have room but it is a long way downstream from the middle of your trip.

Looks like runoff will be reasonable although it is up a bit now.