Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Rod

Hey Guys,

Am looking to purchase a new streamer rod and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, am leaning towards a helios 2 as i have used one before and like it. Anybody have any others that I should look at ?

Thanks,

Comparing a Helios 2 to a dancraft is a bit of a stretch there Peter..

If you have tried the Helios 2, and have the funds, then Id be all over that rod. I've fished them for trout and even got my first Permit on one. They're incredible rods. I think the tip flex in a 6 or 7 would be an ideal streamer rod...

Loomis 1-piece. Yes, 1-piece.

Smoothest, most supple thing I've ever cast. Yet powerful.

Having only one piece allows the rod to bend in a perfect continuous curve with no flat spots. It's lighter as well, feeling like a 6-wt in your hand, but actually has more power than the same rod made as a three or four piec.

Also, the reduced labour costs mean you get a high-end rod at about a $200-$300 lower price point.

Ships in a long cardboard tube and comes with a fabric cover.

Works best if permanently stowed in a driftboat and used as a boat rod. Hard to transport in a car or to take on approach walks.

Loomis 1-piece. Yes, 1-piece.

Smoothest, most supple thing I've ever cast. Yet powerful.

Having only one piece allows the rod to bend in a perfect continuous curve with no flat spots. It's lighter as well, feeling like a 6-wt in your hand, but actually has more power than the same rod made as a three or four piec.

Also, the reduced labour costs mean you get a high-end rod at about a $200-$300 lower price point.

Ships in a long cardboard tube and comes with a fabric cover.

Works best if permanently stowed in a driftboat and used as a boat rod. Hard to transport in a car or to take on approach walks.

I echo this sentiment. I have a one piece 7wt Zenith that is just awesome. Can launch heavy lines and double streamer rigs with ease. I feel a lot more accurate with it than I did chucking and ducking with a 6 wt, and it has enough sensitivity to be accurate in tight spots. The downside is obviously transportation, but it is fine to carry in the boat. Since buying it, I have had my eye on a Titan rod vault to make the whole process easier... Just haven't yet been able to justify spending the cash.

• Like 1

I'm running a TFo TiCr in an 8wt and love it! It will chuck big streamers in gale winds as I found out on the bow a couple weeks back. It also won't break the bank. The action is very fast which I like but I know it's not for everyone.

Cheers

Simon

I am running the same as Simon and have only used it a couple of days last year which was the first season I owned. It was great to cast and once I got used too the increased weight of the big streamers I was throwing I would even say I developed some accuracy with it. Ha, well as much accuracy as I have with my other rods.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I a running, a TFO- BVK 890 for a pike rod, as well as a Hardy Zenith 7wt. 9.5 ft, they both chuck streamers very well, the TFO, rated very well on the 8wt. Flyrod shootout done by Yellowstone angler, beating out rods, that are selling for twice as much.

My next streamer rod, will be for Bulls, and will be a TFO Impact in 6 wt.

The Flyrod shootouts that Yellowstone does are very informative, articles with tons of info.

• 2 weeks later...

used a 690-4 sage tcx for streamer it was ok on a floating line, didnt likw it with sink tip

used a 7 wt bvk luanched the streamer ok, with 250 grain 30 ft head

personal favorite is the 7 wt st croix bank robber i throw ghetto rig with 2 articulated streamers with ease. i

My sage VXP 691-4 saltwater 6wt. is the best streamer rod I have ever used. Perfect for all my needs on the Bow. A blessing, since I spend a lot of time fishing streamers, and most of my biggest trout are caught on large flies.