Fly Fusion Forums

Amateur On The Oars

Had a buddy of mine smash my new hyde into some rocks today.took two dollar size chunks out of my chine right down to the fiberglass. Hyde told me I could just find someone locally to do it. Wondering if anyone has had any repairs done to there boat here in Calgary. And where I could take my boat

Thanks

I did a few nicks I got on my Hyde on the Bella Coola a few years ago. I just bought 3M marine body filler - on the guys at hyde's suggetion. The version I bought ended up pale blue in colour after it cured fully. Not sure if there is a version with a white hardener. I never did get around to the final step of polishing and painting. The blue dots were daily reminders to take a tad more care approaching shore. Since sold the boat but still see it around town - dots and all.

Polyester resin isn't 100% water proof, over time it will absorb water.The gelcoat is what makes it water and UV proof.So my suggestion get yourself a can of gelcoat (waxed) so you can touch it up.IPP in town here carries it.If its really deep then Ipp also has poly resin that you can mix a filler into before the gelcoat.

Another option is epoxy but you'll have to paint to match color as gelcoat doesn't stick to epoxy very well.

I have used epoxy and wood flour in the past for deep gouges. It dries in a day and you can sand it smooth and just touch up with paint.

As Tungsten says, gelcoat may not stick well to epoxy but it is a river boat and you're bound to get more dings and scrapes down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Just shy of 600 for both repairs. Not the cheapest labour but totally worth it. The boat looks great

I never rowed before but, really want to learn. I swear I wont hit any rocks :) just jokes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone buying a Drift Boat, remember, if you want to fish too, make sure you have seasoned rowers along with you! If not, you will not enjoy them learning to row on your boat, it drove me nuts, so much so that i would kick them out of the rowers seat and row myself. Cheaper that running into rocks, etc. If you don't know how to row, get someone to teach you or watch and learn. There is also lots on the internet on how to row a drift boat. It is not really hard to do, but does take time, concentration, and lots of knowledge of river flows, where to position your boat, and how to get out of trouble before it becomes an accident. Good luck if you are learning, everyone that rows now had to go through it!

• Like 1

buy a pontoon first and practice on that first. get comfortable with that and you'll get the basics of learning a drift boat.

had a buddy out this weekend on the boat who never rowed a drift boat before but he does own a pontoon and he gets out quite a bit. He picked it up quite quick and basically earned himself a spot on the boat.

on the other had a few weeks ago had another buddy out who never rowed before or been on a pontoon and ya long story short is he will only be invited when absolutely necessary. and he will only be rowing though the slow stretches

I always tell new guys if they stop moving, they're doing it wrong - running the sticks doesn't mean it's sandwich time. Most new guys over correct, lots of small strokes (that's what she said) and save the big deep ones for bank switches.

They also always get the back - because they're new and because they can watch.

You can teach side slipping, but you can't teach effort. No effort = no invites.

I think the biggest thing the new rower does not understand is that a takes 3 or 4 strokes to get the boat moving so in essence as far as work is involved "more is less" the other one they usually miss is aligning the boat with the current fall-line.... when they get out of alignment the boat ferries across the current (jon boat even more) and all of a sudden they are mid-river or worse on the bank.... I guess this is why all the guys I tend to fish with all own boats themselves because when it gets down to it you catch way more fish from a properly rowed boat