Fly Fusion Forums

Hanging Pontoon Boat In Garage

I have two pontoons hanging from the rafters right now. The method you describe will work very well for you. What I have done is simply pass a 1/2"" rope over the horizontal portion of the rafters and pull on the rope while lifting the pontoon with the other hand. I tie the rope off somewhere on the pontoon that is convenient. This allows me to keep the pontoons partially inflated over the winter. Just enough air to keep the shape.

Murray

Guest bigdirty

No rafters to work with here. I use 4 big hooks in the ceiling. Tie a rope to 2. I use 2 pieces of rope long enough to lay under the boat and then back up through the other hooks. Pulling on the loose ends rises the boat to the roof. Pulling the boat down soon. A one man job. Can show a few pics later if you like.

• Like 1

I have a 2 pulleys that are fastened to the ceiling, they connect to ropes on the anchor mount and a rope that I tie around the foot pegs. The two ropes run over to the wall, around a roller and down the wall. I can lift the boat up and down really easily and only have to deal with the 20' of rope on the wall once the boat is hung.

• Like 1

Great... now I wanna buy a pontoon. ;) The Outcast hoist looks pretty slick. I'm sure you could DIY one, but knowing me, I'd probably screw something up in the process and end up spending $50 on materials anyway for something that works only half as well. I'm going to keep my eyes open for this, as I'm sure given the trajectory I'm on that I'll put it to good use eventually. Looks like it will do 150lbs, so would even work for the Porta Bote I have on my wishlist.

Cool the system looks like it could be mortified to be used for storing my canoe.

Don't know about mortified, but I'm slightly amused :).

I've used a hand crank boat winch to hoist stuff in my garage since 1987, when I got my first one. I began with the winch and 4 pulleys for my truck cap so I could manage it by myself and use a similar arrangement for my 12' inflatable now.

Just one point to remember if you use this method, is to ensure your pull point draws equal amounts on each leg. The easiest is to run all 4 cables (or rope depending on load) directly to the winch. If you want to use a collection point and connect all 4 to a single, you have to get far enough back to equal the drawn lengths.

I use a platform that fits the boat and the utility trailer equally.

• Like 1

I use two 2x4's a little wider than the pontoon, one side is tied thru, the other uses a prussik. makes it easy to raise and lower without rachets or winches or things that cost money.

and Yes Paul, I replaced the outcast, have a Colorado now (A co-worker bought it for 750 at wholesale a couple years ago, never used it once, sold it to me for 100 bucks last week...score!)

• 1 month later...