Fly Fusion Forums

Photography, Getting More From The Moment.

Guest bigdirty

I bought Photoshop last summer, a bit complex for a hobbiest, wish I had gone with lightroom now, also I believe lightroom includes a video editor whereas Photoshop does not.

Lightroom can create videos from stills (timelapse) and can add sound, but cannot edit actual videos. You can use Photoshop to do some video editing tasks, like adding transitions, combining clips, adding sound, adding adjustment layers (exposure, color correction, black and white). Phlearn and B&H Photo on Youtube are a great place to start learning these.

• 2 weeks later...

Adobe provides access to full versions of all of their latest products for $10 (US) a month. Being a beginner photographer, it's probably not the route that you want to take but further down the road it might be an option if you end up using Lightroom, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro.

As for an entry level camera, I would recommend looking at a Canon Rebel series camera. There are a ton of used ones on kijiji for prices south of $400. As for lens, going used is a great way to save a buck and for the most part they will hold their value.

I've been into landscape photography for about 5 years now and started off with a Rebel. Finally last year I forked out the cash and moved to a full frame DSLR but I still don't notice a huge jump in quality over my previous camera ( it's the lens which you want to invest in ). But in all honesty it's a pretty big misconception that a fancy camera will make you a better photographer, it comes down to practice, practice, practice....oh yeah and putting in the time to get yourself into the breath taking locations (which is why fly fishing and photography complement each other).

Do yourself a favor and go check out 500px.com , some great photographers on that site but take it all with a grain of salt. Most people these days cook up their images pretty good in post processing ( jacking up the saturation, contrast, etc ), it's something that I'd say most photographers do at some point - there's no problem with this but some of it is over the top for my liking.

Cheers,

Brodie

Guest bigdirty

On the topic of lenses. I'm finding the 35mm is not as wide as I want. Looking to get closer to the field of view of the gopro. Any recommendations for a nikon. Dont mind using a full frame lens. Prefer a prime lens.

Guest bigdirty

Looking for advice on carrying a dslr and keeping it dry. Current bag has a submersible pocket but I still can't trust that it's 100% fail proof.

On the topic of lenses. I'm finding the 35mm is not as wide as I want. Looking to get closer to the field of view of the gopro. Any recommendations for a nikon. Dont mind using a full frame lens. Prefer a prime lens.

I don't use Nikon but every manufacturer has a fast 24 prime out. If you want wider and cheap Rokinon/Samyang/Bower (same lenses, different names) have many different primes, including a sharp 14 mm I use for astrophotography. Downside is nobody in Alberta carries them; I ordered from B&H photo in the states.

If money is no object there are many who swear by the 14 to 24 mm Nikon, including Canon users who use it with an adapter.

Nice pose bigdirty..cute fish.

"In aperture mode: 35mm 1/4000 f1.8 iso500"

Drop your ISO to 200. Although the DOF is good, (say) f4 or so would be okay as well and shutter speed at the focal length could be way less.

If you wanted a good print, you'd be happier with less ISO.

Guest bigdirty

It was pretty sunny out. This and a few others were the first I've taken outside. Thought about the iso, but went with 500 just to see how it turned out.

Yup, in full sun I usually drop right to ISO100. As you know by now there are many things that contribute to a good exposure, but one thing that is overlooked is setting your white balance to the current conditions. You'll get much more realistic fish colours if you select a WB other than auto white balance.

WB = Daylight

img_9414_21048721951_o_zps7sxeknes.jpg

WB = Cloudy

11802692_1477962572497277_19296088561637

Now show me some of your fishing spots! lol

• Like 2

Ya, those are great shots Redbeard. I'm a little envious of all the awesome photography being showcased here. Looking forward to a waterproof version of something like the Sony A6000... maybe someday. I had an older Canon G series that I dunked in my first month of carrying it last year, and have since switched to an Olympus Tough. Will see how it does in the rain this weekend.