Fly Fusion Forums

Need Help- Fishing Spots In Or Near Calgary

Hi friends,

I am a newbie on Fly Fish Calgary. I just joined!

I'm planning on going fishing with my family. I've searched a lot, but I can't seem to find a fishing spot in or near Calgary. If the trip is around a hour long (or slightly over), I'm okay with it. Do you guys know any good fishing spots? I don't do fly fishing, and my kids want to be able to keep their catch (within the size limit of course). I do realize that there are regulations on bait use. I've done some fishing up in Fort McMurray (I used to live there). Can you please help me?

Jake

• Like 1

DeWinton pond to the northwest would be a good option. Not sure on directions, but it is probably within an hour of town.

Chain lakes to the south would be another good option. Just off highway 22. It is a bit further than you are looking for but it is a scenic drive.

Both are stocked trout lakes and you'll stand a good chance at a bunch of pan sized fish.

Dewitt's pond west of Airdrie is stocked with trout. Not sure on the limits you are allowed to keep. Go north on the QE 2 to the Big Springs road. Turn west for about 8 or 10 KM. watch for the sign pointing to Dewitt's pond on the south.

Like Conor says, Chain Lake but a boat would greatly help.

Sibbald pond west of Calgary on Hwy 1.

Glenmore resevoir right in town for pike.

Any of the irrigation lakes for pike.

Mitchell Lake, Strubel Lake, sylvan Lake, Pine Coulee. Kananaskis lakes( upper and lower, Lorette pond,

Pick up a copy of the 2015 fishing regs and look at the ES 1 section for other ideas.

When you do take the kids out, let us know how they made out.

• Like 1

Just one last question: there's Chain Lakes Reservoir and just Chain Lakes. Which one should I go to? We're going tomorrow. Chain Lakes Reservoir is at 'Ranch land No. 66, AB', south of Calgary. Is this the one everyone talks/goes to? On Google Maps, there's so many in Alberta. Should I go to Chain Lakes Reservoir (the one with the Provincial Park)? Thank you!

Winchell is another similar spot further to the north west.

Agreed. Once this lake gets stocked its an amazing little lake full of small trout. Its tons of fun to fish in and you can keep 5 im pretty sure. Again. check the regs to make sure. Its a great lake for kids because you can almost always catch fish, and lots of them. Just chuck out a bobber and worm and wait.

The lake wasn't frozen. It was really good, HUGE. The little ones caught a trout near the evening (around 35cm). Two guys near the boat docking area caught around 7. It was super cold during the morning. Overall, it's pretty awesome. We released the trout that we caught, we can't do much with just one. The kids had a blast, and it was all thanks to the users that helped me on this post. Thank you!

• Like 2