Fly Fusion Forums

Barry Mitchell Has Passed Away

And the hits just keep on coming.......

I have collected his AFG books for years as well, and kept them close to hand year round.

He will be missed....it will be hard to fill those shoes....

In the 30+ years that I had the pleasure of knowing Barry, I've never met another angler who has done more for the fisheries in Alberta, or been a more vocal advocate and steward for the resource. As Don said, Barry was involved in many initiatives; a lot of the improvements in fisheries management were the direct result of him taking the lead on some difficult issues, and pushing for much-needed changes. Barry spent countless hours on the phone with me and many of the other fisheries biologists in the Fish and Wildlife Division, discussing fisheries management issues. The time we spent talking to Barry was well worth it, since what we learned from each other enabled us to work together to make some pretty significant changes in how Alberta's fisheries were managed. I can honestly say that my job would have been a lot harder, and I wouldn't have accomplished nearly as much, if it weren't for Barry taking such a strong advocacy role for Alberta's fisheries, pushing for change and making his views known to senior management and the politicians.

Well done, Barry. Your legacy will live on!!

• Like 4

I never had the pleasure of meeting Barry personally, but I've certainly had the privilege of sharing in his conservational accomplishments. If nothing else, I think for me, in a province with a deck so stacked against conservation, Barry proved that each of us can make a difference.

• Like 4

On a camping trip once when my girlfriend was about mid-way through Trout Highway she looked up at me and declared, "you know, I really like this guy, he sure can tell a story". Neither of us ever had the pleasure of meeting Barry but I'd be lying if I said I had never thought of him on a river. I have no doubt his stories will continue to transcend generations to come. To his family and friends I sincerely hope that very soon you will be able to remember and enjoy the time you got to spend with Barry. My condolences to all that were able to call him a friend or family.

His writings certainly inspired me and helped me pass many cold winter evenings. As a beginner flyfisherman, his magazine and book opened my eyes to the wondrous possibilities around me that I had not known of. I only wish I'd actually met him; My condolences to friends and family, I am sure his passing is a huge loss to all who knew him.

I am another that never met Barry personally. But many years ago I was teaching my self to fly fish in Lake Louise. The only mentor I had was the Alberta Fishing Report ( which I looked forward to every year ) and Barry's stories. So how do you say thanks ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...