Fly Fusion Forums

Barry Mitchell Has Passed Away

Barry Mitchell of Red Deer, Alberta passed away.

Many of you know Barry from his days publishing the Alberta Fishing Guide magazine and many others from his book “Alberta’s Trout Highway”.

Barry’s interest in our Province’s fishery extended well beyond his writings. He was one of the founding Directors of the Central Alberta Trout Organization formed in the early 80’s serving in many capacities including President. He worked tirelessly on stream remediation projects throughout Central Alberta, he conceived and implemented the Alberta Streamwatch program to provide increased enforcement on the East Slopes streams. Barry pushed Govt. to rewrite the East Slopes angling regulations which successfully improved the fishery.

The list of fishery related issues where Barry was involved is near endless.

The family is hosting an informal, come-and-go funeral reception for him on Friday, March 6 from 2 to 5 pm at Eventide Funeral Chapel in Red Deer (4820 45 St.). There is no official service happening. An obit will be published in the Red Deer Advocate soon.

On a personal level, Barry was a very close friend and we shared camps many times throughout Alberta.

In Barry, I not only lost a friend but the fish did as well.

We all will miss him.

Regards,

Don

Barry3aw_zpstreoiyax.jpg

Basrry4aw_zpshdjndv4m.jpg

A sad day indeed for the Mitchell family, the fishing community and maybe more so, the entire conservation community.

Regrets to his family, especially Matt who has lost his father and the best fishing buddy anyone could ever ask for.

I thank you for your generosity and passion for the resource.

peace.

bm

(Why I deleted my comments in the other thread and waited for this thread to begin).

I count Barry as one of my mentors, though we only met once in the past 28 years. I phoned Barry as an overeager 14 year old, asking if I could buy back issues of the Alberta Fishing Guide. He was only too willing and kind enough to help. I'd spend hours on summer vacation poring through the guide, memorizing listings. His lasting impression on me is his generosity in sharing knowledge and spots through the magazine. I'd eagerly buy every year's issue when it would typically debut at the Edmonton Sportsman Show.

His advocacy for fisheries is well known, and I hope his enduring legacy will be recognized or memorialized in years to come for his incredible contribution to Alberta fisheries. We all feel like we've lost a friend and the province, a truly great Albertan.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Rest in Peace Barry. May you always find hungry trout along the tiny, bush choked jeweled creeks you loved so much.

• Like 1

A truly sad time for those of us who knew him, fished with him, sat on committees, on and on ..........................

Barry, you WILL be missed.

Barry, you inspired us. You meant a lot to me as a kindred spirit.

I'll miss our outings, but know that some of the traditions will continue - at least in spirit. I'll still fish 'the river' ......... and think of you at every pool - left handers, pot smokers, Matts to name a few ...............

Rest in Peace - you deserve it!!

Loved ya man

Anyone else going to RD? Wanna car pool??

I had the pleasure of meeting Barry several times and had some some really good talks.

He had a great spirit that made him one of those guys easy to get along with.

Starting in the 80's as many others I used the AFG as my bible to scope out possible new areas to explore.

I even phoned Barry on occasion to pick his brain. He seemed to have knowledge about every piece of water in Alberta.

A big loss for all, you guys that were Barry's close friends , hang in there .

Very sorry to hear of his passing.

• Like 1