Fly Fusion Forums

Jeff Wilson

So many great stories and tributes to a guy who lived life with some zeal and passion. It was a pleasure to share some adventures through pictures and stories with Jeff. It is great to hear about all the positive things he was involved with and leaves as a legacy. Hopefully his family gets to see these stories when they are ready, to help them celebrate the positive contributions Jeff made to this world. My prayers are with his circle of community.

Very sad to hear this! I never met Jeff, but we had a few conversations via PM over the years. Definitely seemed like one of the good ones; not surprised to read these awesome tributes to the man.

I always used to give him hell about those freakin ugly brown waders you can see in the pics. It was later winter in 2005 and Jeff and I decided that we should go and try fishing the Crow since we had nothing better to do. Neither of us had any waders and figured that we better stop at wholesale sports in Lethbridge on the way. Forum member Wes_G was running the fishing counter at the time and he jumped in to suit us up with waders and boots.

Wes "So what can I fix you boys up with?"

Us: "Cheapest thing you've got"

We had our choice between a nice looking pair of breathable waders (that look like the ones he's wearing in the boat pic that Clive posted, except 100x worse quality haha) and those hideous brown things you can see him wearing in the others. I opted for the fashionable breathable waders, Jeff, on the other hand, decided to get those horrific brown things because they would likely be a lot warmer in the icy river. Well let me tell you - those damn waders would not die, or should I say he wouldn't let them die! He spent more money on fabric glue and UV knot sense and whatever other kinda repair materials than those ugly things were worth, 3x over! i always told him that he look liked an old man wearing spandex pants with a soiled diaper when he strutted around in those things. I cannot express the joy I felt the day he finally retired them after YEARS of use. He must've got 6 years out of those POS things haha. Fly fishing fashion was always a fun topic between us - anytime one of us would actually get something nice to use the other would relentlessly torment him about becoming a Bow river wannabe. I'll miss all of the fun daggers we used to chuck at each other.

I never met him as well but he sounds like one of the best friends to have in the world.i appreciate reading your stories and thanks for the laughs sorry for all who will mourn him you all are true freinds.May he fish in peace.dont forget your memories.

Just heard the sad news about Jeff, and would like to pass on my sincere condolences to his family, friends and fishing buddies.

Although I only met Jeff a few times, he made a big impression on me. His passion for fishing was undeniable, but his willingness to generously give of his time to be a steward of the resource was what I found to be truly remarkable. When I first met Jeff in June 2009, he had driven all the way from Medicine Hat just to help us electrofish Boulton Creek. The data we gathered on the huge adfluvial rainbow trout that spawn in this creek would prove to be crucial in getting the regulations changed, so as to provide these spawners with the protection that they needed. Jeff, and his close friend Jake Gotta, subsequently played a key role in rallying support to have the fishing regulations changed on K-Lakes, so that they could ultimately realize their potential and provide Quality fisheries for Cutthroat, Bull and Rainbow trout.

Whenever I fish these lakes, I will remember Jeff and the legacy that he has left for all anglers.

• Like 2

Wow, saddened by the news...I feel for his family. Jeff was great one. I've know him for over 10 years, and of course, like many, the connection is Bullshead. Some of my best memories were seeing him and his daughter out there and fishing together with them....usually finding a beer on my truck bumper when I came in....emails sent back and forth about Bullshead...such a passion for his family. I loved it that when he went fishing, it meant he was gone for the THE DAY. There was no short trip; he went hard. I got use to looking for his vehicles when I went out to the lake...more often than not in the Spring, I would find him somewhere.

He's a great one...he will be missed.

Wow. At a loss for words.

Here are a few more pictures of my good friend Jeff. He worked on the rigs and was also an avid photographer.

Here is a pic from the show (License to Drill)

JeffWilsonLicence%20to%20Drill_zpsrohgj5

More Bullshead

P1140847_zpsbjpcjcio.jpg

P1140233_zps1d2b9c6f.jpg

It was hard to put the camera down as he seemed to always have a fish on!

P1140222_zps5d93bab8.jpg

His love of K Lakes and it's Bull Trout

P1140422_zpsc9xtddjk.jpg

His love of photography

P1110730_zpselmebbzh.jpg

DSC07039_2_zpse56jg2yi.jpg

• Like 4

Rough day today. More pics.

ShaneJefftrout2_zpsmpb58khm.jpg

Jeff1_zpshrhf4ego.jpg

jeff2_zps0nvdc2db.jpg

A great shot of Jeff and bloom with 2 hawgs!

jeff3_zpstn65kknb.jpg

This is a picture of the very first fish he ever caught at Lower K - the bully I talked about in the story above.

jeff8_zpsxedyikdp.jpg

This is a pic of the rainbow that I caught earlier that day. This is my favorite catch photo that he ever took of me - one of the funnest trips ever.

shane12_zpsneenicby.jpg

This is a photo from our last fishing trip; its the last photo he ever took of me.

Lower%20K9_zpspvxcbhbv.jpg

• Like 4

That is sad news. My condolences to his friends and family. Myth, I know you were a very good friend of his.

I had met Jeff (and Myth) several times over the few years at Bullshead. He always had a beer for you and a story to tell. He had a passion for fly fishing and was especially passionate about Bullshead.

He was a great guy and Bullshead will miss him. Catch the big ones where ever you are Jeff.

What sad news. I followed his posts here and communicated with him especially regarding Bullshead and it was plain that he was a very important member of the community that fishes there. He is obviously going to be sorely missed. Condolences to friends and family.

Wow, unreal. I met Jeff years ago at Bullshead as a lot of you did. We became very good friends and fished everyday together, rain or shine. Drank a pile of black labels (break up beer as we called it). it saddens me that life got in the way and i seemed to no longer have the time to fish as much anymore and slowly had lost touch with him over the years.

I think it was the second year we went out to the K's together and we were fishing off the dam on the lower K and all of a sudden WHAM!! Rod bent over and nothing but the pure delight of a fly reel screaming.

He looked over at me with the greatest look of pure joy on his face...followed by a bit of terror as i mentioned to him he better get the brakes on her soon as he was into the backing already. Anyway after a hell of a fight we were both brought into a crazy school girl giggle fest as we seen that he had just landed the holy glory of fish...a beast of a female rainbow in all of her glory. I honestly cant remember if we strapped her but she was a monster. Biggest rainbow i have ever seen in real life.

I remember Jeff was so excited that he was shaking so bad he couldn't even drink his beer let alone light a smoke. Man it was a great day. I will never forget it!

Tight lines my friend, i will always remember the fun the we had.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this now and I am deeply saddened. I got to know Jeff just a little bit over the last several years, and, as most, the connection was at Bullshead. Last year I was able to meet up with Jeff and show him around a bit on a very special day on my home stream and we fished into the darkness hooking many fish on caddis into a moonlit night. I think we finally wrapped it up around 2AM. Jeff will be missed. :( I am at a loss of words really.

I was introduced to the Bullshead about 10 years ago by a great guy on this forum(hawgstoppah) and since then I have been coming from Saskatchewan every spring and fall. I have met so many nice fisherman but Jeff and I hit it off right from the minute I met him. I fished with him a few times and had everything in common, I also have daughters, live to fly fish. We shared a lot on our tailgates at the BHR from AAA hockey, girls, kids, our best flies, ol' mill, beef jerky. I was hoping to see him next week when I came down and didn't see this thread until yesterday!! I never talk on forums always just used it as an ice off for the Bullshead. I wanted to show Jeff my secret fishin' holes but with great sadness I guess I can't. I haven't been out the last couple years as I battle mental illness and have been fishing closer to home . But I couldn't wait to get Alberta bound and I too always looked for his truck. I always tried to be the 1st n the parking lot in the morning and the last truck to leave. I always told him when in doubt try the brown woolybugger !! It was kinda our joke. Jeff was a great fisherman, and even better friend in the little time we fished together. I couldn't wait for him to tease me about my new red truck because I also drove a beat up 4by4 full of fly gear and stickers. We wanted to start a website called "Back roads and Rednecks". for guys like us!! He will be missed and today I fish my home waters with a very heavy heart and will have an Ol' mill for my friend. Vaughn(WLYBGR)

• Like 7

I had no idea this had happened until reading the BH thread today. I've met a ton of people on this board, and I'm trying to remember if Jeff and I ever actually met in person. We conversed on the board a ton, and he has contributed several times to various auctions I've done. His passion for fishing, Bullshead, and Kanasaskis will be sorely missed. I can't even imagine what his family is going through. I'm planning on going to Bullshead hopefully this week, and I always assumed we would run into each other there one day. It makes me really sad to realize that won't happen.

Jeff, I would say rest in peace, but I hope your heaven has some adventure in it as well. Go find a Texan named Richard up there and say hello for me. Swap some stories, you both have a few. Show him how to use a fly rod. He'd love it. He'll return the favor by putting you on some big nasty redfish. You guys will have a ball.

• Like 1