Fly Fusion Forums

Fiberglass

Anyone here fish Fiberglass rods? Last summer went out with couple of my old rods that I bought in the 60"s. A Fenwick and a Phillipson. Had so much fun I have ordered a couple of lightweight blanks to build and chase Brookies with this summer. Forgot how I love that slow action. Also had a chance to play with a Butterstick which was neat.

Spent whole last season with 3wt fiberglass. will definitely build more glass rods for myself in future, 2,4,5 wt and perhaps one in 8-9wt for pike and such.

My casting has improved in a big way. Slowing things down does help in my case.

• Like 1

I have some too..... I like my older Scott 754 up on the Dogpound. I have a few Fenwick Feralite's...some from back in the day, and some I find at tackleswaps and get them for low dollars.

The Fenwicks, are harder to find in lower line weights...most of what you see are 7 weights and higher. 5's and 6's were purchased in far fewer numbers....great rods all.

The FF75 or (FF755 as the later ones were labled) is a great dry fly rod, even today. The FF75 was available in both 5 and 6 wt, they both fish fine with a 5. The later FF755 was a dedicated 5 wt.....

I like my Feralites...

• Like 2

I bought a 71/2' browning 5 wt in 1978. While I owned and built sage, and lamiglass graphite I usd the browning for probably over 75 percent of my fishing up until about 5 years ago. I only stopped using it because the fibreglass is showing signs of fatigue and because of the super rods g loomis is putting out. I am looking to get another fibreglass rod just because of that feel only they have.

• Like 1

Current rod count 13 fiberglass (mostly vintage) one on order, 9 graphite all of them built in the last millennium. 2 yrs ago I sold 6 short (7' and under) Phillipsons to a flyfisherman from Malaysia

• Like 1

I'm bringing in a couple of Mountain Brook blanks in 4/5. Heard some good thing about the tapers from others that have and fish em. Post em when I get em. they're the Spigot type ferrule rods.

Actually another one I enjoyed and wish I had again was a Berkely Parametric Curt Goudy Signature in 4 wt. It was a nice caster.

Fiberglass has my interest piqued. I finished out a bamboo rod a couple years ago and really enjoy fishing with it. Never fished with glass, but it's next on the list. I am very interested in the modern epic (476, 580, 686) and steffen (7'9 or 8' 4wts) glass rods. I hope to also pick up some vintage fenwicks.

I own a few modern glass rods , L Kenney's but I know very little about other current offerings. Here's a good resource for those inquiries . http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ . They really are a helpful bunch, a lot of knowledge about classic glass as well.

Myself I'm slowing paring down my classic glass collection but I have a pronounced soft spot for anything Phillipson specially lighter line Phillipsons. A two tipped Phillipson Registered MIdge in good++ shape is my holy grail rod. Anyone reading this that has one I'll give you 5 bills for it.

I really should take a new family picture. It's changed a bunch since then.

I jumped on a Lami blank for sale on this forum a few years back. 7' 6" 4wt. It is a great rod. Very slow but with a lot of deep down power. I had it in the gap on a windy day (i.e. hard to stand up some times) and was shocked how well it punched through the wind. In good conditions it is a pleasure to cast all day.

I tried a butter stick at the show this year. Very sweet out to 40' or so, but it didn't seem to have the same type of power reserve as the Lami honey.

It nice to see all the glass out there these days. Some is very reasonably priced as well. I have been tempted by some of the higher end hand rolled glass over the the years but will probably hold off. I might have to spend on a Morgan one of these days though.

I had a fiberglass 6wt back in the 80's that I loved casting but was ashamed to be seen with. I've kept it in the basement all these years hoping to refinish it one day with some decent components. With that always in the back of my mind and all the recent talk about fiberglass, I just picked up a 7' 3wt Butterstick this afternoon so I'm looking forward to playing with that this season. If it rekindles the old memories I may finally get around to redoing the old 6wt next winter.

• Like 1

Maybe you fibreglass guys can help me out with something.

I'm trying to pick out a new 3wt-ish and I'm having trouble making up my mind. I cast an echo 3wt glass at the show recently and I liked it a lot but I wasn't able to get very much control past 50 or 60 feet. I want tuhis rod to be my every day mountain stream rod and the lack of power concerns me. Not because I need to cast 50 ft all the time, I'm guessing that a rod I can't cast farther than that indoor is going to struggle at say 30 ft in the wind or not be versatile with streamers or what have you.

So two questions:

Is my reasoning about the lack of distance indicating a lack of wind cutting / streamer throwing power correct?

If so would you solve this problem by buying a 5wt in glass rather than something like a BVK / Zenith / TXL-F 3wt?

Maybe you fibreglass guys can help me out with something. I'm trying to pick out a new 3wt-ish and I'm having trouble making up my mind. I cast an echo 3wt glass at the show recently and I liked it a lot but I wasn't able to get very much control past 50 or 60 feet. I want tuhis rod to be my every day mountain stream rod and the lack of power concerns me. Not because I need to cast 50 ft all the time, I'm guessing that a rod I can't cast farther than that indoor is going to struggle at say 30 ft in the wind or not be versatile with streamers or what have you. So two questions: Is my reasoning about the lack of distance indicating a lack of wind cutting / streamer throwing power correct? If so would you solve this problem by buying a 5wt in glass rather than something like a BVK / Zenith / TXL-F 3wt?

If you want a 3 don't buy a 5, regardless of it being made from glass, grass or graphite. Personally I have a TXL in the 2710. I have never had any issues with back bone and I have landed some serious hogs on it.... 28"-30" bulls. throwing streamers and punching thru wind is a little more difficult because the line doesn't carry much weight.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a 3 don't buy a 5, regardless of it being made from glass, grass or graphite. Personally I have a TXL in the 2710. I have never had any issues with back bone and I have landed some serious hogs on it.... 28"-30" bulls. throwing streamers and punching thru wind is a little more difficult because the line doesn't carry much weight.

Just ordered a couple of Mountain Brook Blanks. Heard a bunch of good things about them. I'll let you know how they turn out.