Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Fishing In The Winter

ghus32

That is not proper streamer fishing technique Mr. Troutlover and therefore all those fish you catch in that manner do not count.

Streamers with black marabou tails seem to work at the end of sink tips or full sinking lines in the winter.

Cold water slows trout metabolism down so they don't have to eat as often and tend to be more sluggish in winter. That just means you need to get your fly more in their face (that's why that Troutlover guy serves up his clouser at them under an indicator). If you swing flies through the right type of water at the right depth/speed you can still get quite a few in the winter

I fish with a guy who has a "no autographs please" button on his vest...He is the pro. I am just passing on what he teaches me. We hardly ever catch any fish, but we always do things exactly like they teach in the official fly fishing book.

LOL that is great....my brother quite a few years back after a real bad day complained "I don't understand. The books say this and the book says that but it doesn't work. Next time I am bringing the f*****g book and throwing it in the river so the fish can read on what they are supposed to do!"

• Like 2

Awesome story Gary. In truth, my friends usually say I do everything wrong and I hear "that will never work" a lot. Good thing I never learned to read. The guy with the button does exist...he is still trying to learn me after a couple of decades of frustration

• 3 months later...

Best way to fish is the way you enjoy

Well said,

I don't know how many days in August I've spent just floating down the river fishing a hopper dropper rig and caring more about how warm, and great the sun is than caring if anything hit it

• Like 1