Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A One Man Float Boat Thoughts?

I'm looking for a boat that's light enough to load yourself and be able to carry back to a vehical.Im between the outcast stealth approach and the kodiac water master or do you think stick with the old pontoon boat and get a wheel for the front just wondering I will be floating the bow mostly and the odd lake.Im just looking for the most portable one as I would like my wife to drop me off and have my truck at my take out and load it myself any input would be appreciated thanks

If you like rowing boats without rockers, and sitting on plywood all day. Then the water master is for you! I have also been in the presence while an fishcat scout was used. The foot bar is a major annoyance with that thing, the entire boat leaves much to be desired. There isn't much of a difference between it and the stealth approach.

Look into an assault X by dave scadden, or his outlaw escape.

Typically dave is willing to haggle, and he has wicked deals come christmas time, i got my scadden for half of what those jokers at sevylor waterfishmaster wanted. If you can get a good deal with dave, and then upgrade his oars ON YOUR OWN, buy yourself a cargo net and add drings and rod holders where you'd like with stabond glue, or what i've done is taken a good quality marine duffle tied down to the extra d rings i've added in my cargo area, and you've got a killer float boat.

However, dave is very disorganized, if you're not continually on him about shipping your boat, that is where all the nightmares will ensue.... A quick google search will show you some forums and people with some negative experiences with him. But they all get their boats, just takes some time sometimes.

However, dave is very disorganized, if you're not continually on him about shipping your boat, that is where all the nightmares will ensue.... A quick google search will show you some forums and people with some negative experiences with him. But they all get their boats, just takes some time sometimes.

To me this sounds like all the reason in the world not to buy from him no matter how good his boats are. If you have trouble getting the boat that you've paid for in the first place then what happens later if you need any kind of replacement parts under warranty?

To me this sounds like all the reason in the world not to buy from him no matter how good his boats are. If you have trouble getting the boat that you've paid for in the first place then what happens later if you need any kind of replacement parts under warranty?

I had better luck getting a seat replaced from them then I did getting an email replied to from WM...

I'd take a good hard look at the Assault X in the trading section. I have the XX and would probably prefer to go for the X now, if I didn't occasionally have a second person with me

Today scadden is having a cyber Monday sale. $200 off clearanced priced boats under $1000 and $300 off clearance boats $1000-$2000 . Those are probably the best prices you will see all season.

I have a scadden pontoon with the laser lock frame. I bought it when I had a truck. Now that I have a car, I would opt for frameless since I don't have as much space. The frame is really nice to fish from since you are a bit higher up.

If it were me and I had a big vehicle I would go for the andreason model. Super easy to set up with a v shaped toon and I like the frame.

If space was tight I would go for the predator. I Don't think I would like having a tube in front of me when fishing, but haven't tried it so who knows.

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/show-season-sale/

I bought the Outcast Stealth Pro this spring. So far so good. Used a few times at Beaver, Police and down in Montana. Very easy to carry to the water and it rows nice. (I have yet to get it on open water)

The main reason I bought it was the ease of getting it into and out of my vehicles. I can leave it 70% full and get into my fishing van for the short hauls or I can roll it up and place it in the trunk of my car for longer road trips.

I've had both the scadden assult and a watermaster. I would buy the watermaster at this point if the price points are similar. Harder to row but much more stable. I've had the scadden about a year and the watermaster for several years. Wm kicked the bucket at about 25 years of age.

Don't even get me started on that. Would never buy a product from him again. Very disorganized.

If you are going to buy a watermaster save your cash, head to Canadian tire buy a Fishhunter for $89 and a piece of plywood for $25...... its about the same quality and easy of use just $1000 less. Watermasters were awesome years ago when there were no other option, no they are outdated. The Scadden boats are way easier to row, drift and pack.

jayhad - totally disagree. I have used my WM on the Bow as well as many of the Montana rivers. Stable as a rock, tough as nails, easy to assemble/disassemble, carries a lot of gear, comfortable to sit in (with the new seat). I upgraded the oars. Great customer service. Absolutely no regrets.

All good points thanks again appreciate it I'm thinking about heading in the pontoon direction now.Im thinking I would like to stay higher up off the water.So thank you all very much for your input and time.Ill check out the expo again this year and probably base my decision off what I see in person.

jayhad - totally disagree. I have used my WM on the Bow as well as many of the Montana rivers. Stable as a rock, tough as nails, easy to assemble/disassemble, carries a lot of gear, comfortable to sit in (with the new seat). I upgraded the oars. Great customer service. Absolutely no regrets.

I never said the watermaster wasn't stable or tough, and the Bow isn't really a river that stresses a watercraft.... WaterMasters handle like a brick, and they are too expensive for what you get.

I have a BRAND NEW Scadden Assault X with the upgraded oars... I am selling because i need a two man boat so my lady friend can come along. $1450 firm. If you start researching how much one will cost you look at the US exchange rate right and the cost of shipping something like that. This is a good deal.

Don't even get me started on that. Would never buy a product from him again. Very disorganized.

Funny, i had two brand new sets of oars arrive at my door step after only one simple email saying my first set broke.

I'll take the performance of the scadden and his disorganization, over the water master fad, just because faceless and "humble" get them for free and promote the heck out of them, along with everyone else who follows suit on instagram and facebook because its "cool", doesn't mean they're the best performing boat on the market. Not even close. I'd take the outcast/fishcat boats over a water master in a heart beat.

Have fun sitting on plywood, dont care how sturdy and stable your boat is, sitting on on plywood all day sucks the big one. I can stand up in my scadden assault x, and did so while coho fishing beaches this summer. Along with more then a couple floats with others with watermasters and outcast frameless, I row circles around them.

I'll tell you that i did go looking on water master for accessories for my scadden, which is a total rip off. 24USD Dollars for a cargo net, and then 40 bucks shipped to canada... Is that a joke? "Oh well we'll just bring it to the show in jan/february... save you the money" Seriously? 6 Months to get a 24 dollar cargo net? Bought an Atv Cargo net through cabelas. Easy, done, 8 dollars TOTAL.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you like rowing boats without rockers, and sitting on plywood all day. Then the water master is for you! I have also been in the presence while an fishcat scout was used. The foot bar is a major annoyance with that thing, the entire boat leaves much to be desired. There isn't much of a difference between it and the stealth approach.

Look into an assault X by dave scadden, or his outlaw escape.

Typically dave is willing to haggle, and he has wicked deals come christmas time, i got my scadden for half of what those jokers at sevylor waterfishmaster wanted. If you can get a good deal with dave, and then upgrade his oars ON YOUR OWN, buy yourself a cargo net and add drings and rod holders where you'd like with stabond glue, or what i've done is taken a good quality marine duffle tied down to the extra d rings i've added in my cargo area, and you've got a killer float boat.

Hi,

i'm hoping to get the Scadden Assault XX or the OSG commander within the next 12 months.

Does anyone know if scadden will be at the fly fishing show in Jan? or where I can look at one?

Those of you who have the scadden, did you get it shipped to canada and what was the cost for that?

I'm hoping to get an idea of when the best sales for this will be as i have a year before i need one.

thanks

I'm selling a 12 foot NRS Otter self bailing raft with frame and oars. The boat weighs 70lbs and rolls to fit in a hatch back. The frame breaks down into 6 four foot pieces of pipe. Included is a 12 foot NRS Otter self bailing raft (no patches, no wear spots, excellent condition). A 54" NRS bighorn frame with seat, footbar, cooler/box/bench bay, oar towers and oar locks; and 3 Carlisle oars and blades with oar rights. Will fit in a truck box or on a sturdy roof rack inflated. Or rolled it will store in a car, inflates in 5 minutes. You can row this boat on any fishable river in the area (unlike those pool toys mentioned above ...cough*Dave Scadden boats*cough ;)...). PM if interested with reasonable offers otherwise I'll hang onto it till the spring.

• Like 1