Fly Fusion Forums

New Vise

Blackant

Hi Everyone,

Well it turns out I am now in the market for getting a new vice. I originally had Wal-Mart C-Clamp vise that lasted over 8 seasons. The C-Clamp is now busted as the kids knocked over the table.

I am looking for some advice on what vise to get. What has been your experience, what you like and not like about your vise.

I did a search on the form and got some information, but wanted your guys personal experience.

I am thinking of vise that has a solid base as I am tried of having to clamp on to a table edge and potentially damaging the table.

Thanks

Black Ant

Used a Traveler for many years, very nice solid vice, I prefer the base type instead of clamp, it is also available locally. A rotating head is a nice feature to be able to wind on hackle and see the other side of the fly but not necessary. It also does depend what your budget is. Other solid vices are the Regal, awsome hook holding ability. Thompson is a classic that is a simple vice but well made. I've tried the Peak, which isn't bad, but a bit clunky for my particular taste. Others that are nice are the Dyna King & HMH. Quite a few good brands out there today.

It does depend on your tying style. I also like the Nor-Vice although most people either love it or hate it as it takes some time to master it. I look at it as more of a specialty vice because of its high speed rotation, it is pricy though.

Out of respect I have to give cudos to my Regal vice . With over 3000 flies tied and its simplicity it just won't die . Also I don't have the eyeballs to tye anything smaller that an size 18 . They come in different price ranges depending on what you want to spend.

My 2 cents

• Like 2

I bought a nor-vise last year and I love it. I tie a lot faster than I used to based on the rotation and the automatic bobbin. The only negative feedback so far would be that the very tip of the grips chipped and now I have to hold hooks further back which is annoying.

I bought a nor-vise last year and I love it. I tie a lot faster than I used to based on the rotation and the automatic bobbin. The only negative feedback so far would be that the very tip of the grips chipped and now I have to hold hooks further back which is annoying.

Send an email to Norm, he stands behind his products.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't go wrong with a Dyna King or a Regal for home tying. (it's all about the jaws) I like my Renzetti Traveller for when I am on the road. One day, I might find a LAW.

I got to ty on Lornce's LAW at the Fly Expo last January and it really is as nice a piece of equipment as folks say .....

• 2 months later...

I have a peak. Solid vice that I've been happy with. Just bought a Nor-vice at the show. Yes Norm sold me. Still adapting to it. Having some difficultly with flies that require tying lower on the bend like midges Might need to get the small fly attachment. Another $100

• Like 1

Just upgraded to an Anvil Atlas and love it. Has a really good solid base that does not move while tying plus a clamp option. Got it at Christmas from Fish Tales. Tied up various patterns/hook sizes and it can do it all extremely well. Highly recommend. Started tying about 2 years ago now, both fresh and salt. Guess I should change my forum name as it no longer applies!