Fly Fusion Forums

Curious About Ffc Members

Born and raised third generation Albertan, never out of sight of the foothills and mountains. Fished since 2 years old with the old man following him on the brown trout creeks and getting in his way in the boat fishin the central alberta trout lakes. We would troll "nymphs" (doc spratleys, wooley buggers, etc) with a light action spinning rod and do reasonably well but I can always remember watching guys like Don anchored up in a pontoon not moving for hours and catching fish. Told myself I wanted to do that. Old man bought me my first flyrod at 12 or 13 years old and together with a lot of reading, I spent a lot of time figuring it out, thank god for goldeye on the red deer river. Have fished a lot of water and returned to a quarter of it. Like a lot of these wiser oldtimers, am beginning to spend more time on the boat fishing stillwaters both here and BC to get away from the masses chasing cutthroats and bulls on the once great and fairly secret drainages in this area. Now it seems everyone and their buddy is a guide and is into water never before fished. Instagram heroes I like to call them.

Fisheries biologist on paper but didn't take me long to figure out jobs were scarce and pay wasn't great. Like most other Albertan kids I have been in the oilpatch ever since, now I work mostly on the abandonment and reclamation side which is nice.

Have fished with a lot of guys off this forum and learned even more from more, I don't post much these days because I don't have much to say. I'm not a self proclaimed guide or pro.

• Like 2

I've lived in Calgary since 2013, in Alberta since 1998. Originally from Saint John New Brunswick, joined the military in 1982 left it in 2006. So a gypsy for most of my life but a respectable one. I have been fly fishing since I was 7 years old, my mother died then and my father who was a bigger Gypsy than I am, left when I was 3 months, so my Grandfather gave me an old bamboo pole with a small section of fly line and leader with a Dark Montreal or Paramechie Bell wet fly and took me fly fishing LOTS!!

When he went fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon I got to carry our lunch pail. this turned into a love of the outdoors and fly fishing of course, it has been my therapy for a lot of years.. I tied trout and Salmon flies for DOAKS Fly shop for a time until it was time to move again.

When it came time to retire it was clear it would be Alberta, just not clear where or with whom..

Now very very happily remarried to the most wonderful Fly Fishing girl, Ladystrange or Tiana as some of you may know her. We are continuing on our Gypsy Fly fishing ways together.

• Like 3

Still have that merc I sold ya Murray?

My name is Dave. I started this website. I hope everyone still enjoys it. Kids have destroyed my fishing career. My son and I have started fishing together recently. I hope to teach him to fly fish.

I live in Douglasdale and I hope u all stay outta my runs.

• Like 6